Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know if there is a folio case to carry around just the tablet (screen part)?

2. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm, once again, back on the Surface Book train. I really wish that the tablet section had a kickstand like the Surface pro but that would probably eat into the sales of the Surface.

bloodycape likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Welcome back! :) You didn't want to wait the remaining 3 days and preorder the Book 2? Or did you find a particularly good deal?

5. excalibur1814

Ideally I want the 15" with the 1060 but would have to sell my car to get one. Or a kidney

6. excalibur1814

So... It's arrived in all its Core i5 (Booooo it's not an i7 or Quad core) glory and, unfortunately, I'm experiencing a small issue. Whenever, or after using the nVidia card, I get dialog boxes with nothing in them for a few seconds while undertaking normal Windows tasks. Also the Book is noticeably slower than before using the card. Early days in the diagnosis but I though that I'd throw this out there.

This is a second hand unit, from eBay, with a clean install of the latest consumer release of Windows 10. Picture taken with, possibly, the worst phone camera ever made in the last 5 years (Maze Alpha phone).

The speed of the machine, despite Task manager stating that it's sleeping, is suddenly sluggish.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/4zq3pd/surface_book_seems_really_sluggish/

The picture shows a right click on the recycle bin. As soon as I press Print screen the options appear.

Attached Files:

7. excalibur1814

Ignore my stupid noob face... It's the latest build of the Dolphin EMU being super rubbish. Just fired up a load of other stuff with no issues. PANIC.

8. excalibur1814

Sold it.

A Performance base, 512Gb, i7, 16Gb monster is on the way.

The new SB2 is a bit too much for my price range so I'll keep the above until the Quad SB2 hits £1200.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. Wiz

Wiz Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed an update to the Surface NVM Express Controller. Interestingly enough, after the factory setup my SB i7 16Gb with Toshiba 512Gb defaulted to the Microsoft Standard NVM Express Controller, and not the Surface NVM Express Controller. Which I swapped for the OCZ R400 driver for the Toshiba XG3.

So my question would be whether there is a consensus on which driver best to use? The standard one, the Surface one or the OCZ one ..?