Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's true! But that's only part of it. I'm also looking at this thing because they implemented something I've always asked for: the ability to separate the screen AND a Yoga style hinge. Win-win.

ships10 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Haha. I thought of your name when I wrote that but I thought it simply wasn't possible that these two unlikely occurrences would intersect here, right now. Hopefully, the chances of a Surface Air from Microsoft just rose by 100% on account of luck being in our favor here now.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Good thing mine did =P

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

WillAdams likes this.
  5. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

My problem with it and why I can't even consider it is no dedicated GPU. It's pretty, but it loses one of the main draws to me the Surface Book brings: the ability have more graphics power than the Intel low voltage CPU can offer.

6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is that you the Joe?lol

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yesterday received my skin order from dbrand.
    I just put the skin for the tablet and logo and looking socking gorgeous:p

Later I will do the rest for the bottom base,the trackpad and the spine one.

[​IMG]

Edit: Here's the rest of the art work!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    Luft, be77solo, southdunes and 3 others like this.
  8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Brand new firmware update the first for 2017.

Here's what's new for the Surface Book:

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M (v21.21.13.7667) improves system stability.

• Surface UEFI (v90.1427.768.0) improves system stability and performance.

• Surface NVM Express Controller (v11.0.0.1) improves storage performance.

• Intel(R) Management Engine Interface (v11.6.0.1042) improves system stability on startup.

• Surface Integration (v1.1.328.0) improves battery life during sleep.

• Surface Integration Service Device (v1.0.241.0) improves device stability.

• Surface USB Hub Firmware Update (v1.0.519.0) improves stability and power utilization of the USB hub in the device base.

Luft likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

TL&DR CliffNote:
    The Surface Book is a great laptop; poor tablet; over-priced for what you get. Serious note takers should look elsewhere.

Now, the rest of the story...
    I am the most fickle, capricious, and unpredictably predictable member of this forum, so take this post with a large dose of salt and valium.

This is my second stint with the Surface Book. The first was a month +/- after initial release, and all of the firmware/hardware issues made me give it back for a Surface Pro 4. My current model (i7/16gb/512gb)SB has been on premises for four months, nearly a record for Mr. Flip-flopper. It is a beautiful device (eye-candy value) and extremely well built - the closest thing ever to the MacBook Pro line. The fulcrum hinge, necessary for the split personality, is an engineering marvel, but totally unnecessary if this were a regular laptop. The internals are very good, but nothing extraordinary compared to comparable Dell, HP, and Lenovo laptops.

Here's the big issue - for note takers, it is a very inconvenient device. The detachable tablet is more for show than for go. If you are using it as a laptop, you nearly have to pull it off to take notes in your office, during a phone conference, etc. So that left me with leaving it in draw mode (folded over keyboard) with an external keyboard. That works well, except: (1) you still have to pull it apart for meeting, which is now more difficult, (2) I need to prop it up some to get a comfortable writing angle so it is not wiped out by overhead lighting, and (3) overheating problems - it could be my choice of viewing (Fox Business News) but when streaming for more than 30 minutes it will overheat to the point of shutting down the computer. In fact, the fan runs more constantly when in draw mode - the same as the first one I tried (it is obviously not just a firmware issue).

So it is a unique and beautiful laptop design, but it is a laptop nonetheless. There are many things, as a laptop, that the Dell XPS and HP x360 series do as well if not even better, at better price point. Maybe it has a good niche in that category of "hand them the screen to see it for themselves" presentation crowd - and for that it has that "ohs and ahs" wow factor - the "Starbucks cred" as they say, but as a general laptop, you'll get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

Bottom line - my recommendations for friends and family are: (a) if you need a great tablet replacement that can turn cartwheels as a laptop, go Surface Pro 4 (or hopefully soon to be 5, or maybe even Galaxy Book 12); (b) if you are a laptop person with lesser tablet needs, go with Dell, HP, or Lenovo, and use a real non-laptop replacement tablet like the Tab A with S Pen, iPad Pro 9.7, or the new Tab S3.

Sorry Surface Book, but you're a solution looking for a problem. If I keep this one, then a real tablet for note taking is on the immediate horizon. If I go back to one device (plus smartphone), it will be a fight between Galaxy Book 12 (with best in class Wacom EMR pen technology) or slimmed down and pen improved Surface Pro 5...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Kumabjorn, Marty and Bronsky like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I recall you mentioned that the SB's 13.5" screen was actually a notable benefit above the SP4's 12.5".

So basically the inconvenience you talk about was unrelated to the size of the tablet, only the detachment mechanism, right?

Basically, I don't want some MS feedback rep reading this and deciding, oh that means tablet users are "just not interested in larger tablets".

In my opinion, the GPU keyboard dock was the greatest invention for the tablet form factor since the original TypeCover. MS surely does not get enough credit for its industrial design innovations in the tablet space, and I think they should continue iterating to perfect the keyboard dock design.

A TB3, MXM GPU-equipped, battery-stuffed keyboard base really is the no-compromise hybrid solution to merge tablets and laptops for the future. MS is so close, don't give up! ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017