Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

We all do.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I am getting so tired of Apple and the tech press being so inextricable (I want to ask Cook if it is an outie or is it Mossberg's nose). Look at this quote from CNet:

Sure, Apple could make software that powers both Macs and iPads.
    Yes, it could put touchscreens in its laptops.
    And yeah, it could make a hybrid device that's both a tablet and a notebook.
    But that would be taking the easy route. At least that's according to Jony Ive, Apple's longtime chief designer.

"Doing something that's different is actually relatively easy and relatively fast, and that's tempting," says Ive. "We take a very different approach in that we genuinely want to make something that's better."

Ive isn't particularly impressed by touchscreen PCs, which is why we won't see a touchscreen in the Mac. It's also why Apple won't meld Macs and iOS devices into something new, marketing chief Phil Schiller and software engineering lead Craig Federighi say in an exclusive interview before Thursday's launch of the new MacBook Pros, which start at $1,499.

A freaking LIE - it is FAR EASIER to keep two devices so as to artificially increase your revenue stream (try pricing a decked out MacBook Pro and a 128gb iPad Pro) - and you still have no file system for the iPP. But of course these numbskulls in the tech press just take it as the Gospels of Tim and Jon...

3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha, I'm still happy as a clam and trouble free with mine, but I did make it abundantly clear I don't dock it like you and Meso do daily... :p

4. dstrauss

WOW, where did we suddenly get all these lawyers and their bold print DISCLAIMERS...

be77solo likes this.
  5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here are some nice comparison pics, old vs. new base:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bloodycape, Luft and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Is that an extended battery in your base, or are you just happy to see me..

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I feel you. Since when has inventing something totally new become easier than adding less useful features to an already existing thing? This is gotta be there sorriest excuse I've ever heard for not doing something.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

Whistling in the dark past the graveyard if you ask me. Ever since Jobs passed away, Sir Jony has been more interested in hosting Met Galas than designing hardware. If the iPhone 8 is not out of this world in design, Apple is going to fall back to the pack like a failed break away from the peloton.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I though I'd just chime in on MacBooks not having touchscreens.

It's obviously just my opinion, but on laptops that aren't convertible, touchscreens are somewhat of a waste. They add weight to the display and reduce battery runtime by at least an hour (which is still a significant amount). Due to the position such devices can be used at, using touch doesn't make much sense and isn't very ergonomic. You just get fingerprints on your display for no real benefit. Making the display matte also seems to be harder.

The "Touch Bar" seems useful and more ergonomic than a touchscreen. I don't think removing the function keys, rather than having both is good though (there is still a fn key though). It could do with being twice as wide, as the thin strip as it is now is limiting.

The real travesty with the new MacBooks are; the mediocre processors and lack of dPGU in the 13" models; and the use of mediocre dGPUs in the 15" models. I'm sure AMD could have provided them with mobile 470s or 480s. Let's not forget they currently also sell their other devices without lightning to USB-C cables included in the box.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    kvoram likes this.
  10. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find it very convenient to rotate the device, holding as a book and draw/write on the screen and use the keyboard for modifier keys.