Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I like how they utilized the extra keyboard space near the hinge, quite smart!

Disappointed though they went with an outdated Maxwell based 965m GPU though instead of a faster and cooler Pascal option. I've had a 970m in my other laptop for literally years. MS always seems to be a step behind ha

Now when/if they release the SB2 with Kaby Lake and a decent Pascal GPU I'll be all over it!

Safe to assume they won't sell just the "performance base" to those of us that already have an i7 SB?

EDIT: Thought about it a bit more, and can only assume MS had this planned from the start. The 965m was available just like the 940m version they based the original off of back when the SB first came out... seems like just milking the product like cycle to me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

It definitely runs hotter to the touch when all folded up, but I've yet to see mine overheat or even noticeably throttle any more in this position than regular laptop mode. The GPU vent is all but trapped inside though blowing on the clipboard portion.

But, as mentioned I've never docked mine and only use the built in screen in this scenario.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, the "New" Surface Pro i7 is interesting, but far from compelling. Better GPU plus double ram (2GB) - but it is already a generation behind. More battery - gee, they finally put all that empty space to use for battery (hope it's in the clipboard - would kill to know the allocation between tablet and base), but my gut tells me the second fan and GPU means battery went to base.

With the Surface line getting more "Appley" it will be interesting to see the overall reaction after tomorrow's event.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The video of the new Surface Book very much implies that the bigger battery is only in the base. Since they made the base slightly heavier, in theory they would have been able to make the tablet heavier as well but keeping the balance. But I doubt that has happened.

5. dstrauss

@kvoram I'm afraid your're right - it is holding the base down more - a shame because a legit 4 hours in teh clipboard would be awesome.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me it would have been much more interesting if they had fixed the wobbly screen hinge. Kinda annoyed that they made such a big fuss about the hinge last year, when they can't get that right.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

No thanks. I don't want the SB any heavier. Fortunately my use case doesn't really call for extended time with the clipboard away from power. That's part of what makes designing the "perfect" device hard. We can't all agree on what perfect is =P

8. dstrauss

Well, YOU'RE the only one being difficult...:p

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Out of us 3 perhaps. I think the tech press would crucify it way more for being significantly bested by the MacBook Pro on weight than for shorter standalone clipboard battery life.

10. dstrauss

Well, YOU'RE often the more accurate of the three of us as well...