Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't have the problem with the DP and charger. Mine fit in perfectly at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That is true - but the dock connector is much more of a space hog.

3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Did you install the latest factory image which only contains Fall Update (available here: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage ) or did you do a clean install of Anniversary Update with an ISO? AU has problems, as mentioned, so it is best to be avoided until an official recovery image with Anniversary Update has been released, which will signify that the problems have been ironed out. Now, if you still are having problems after a recovery using the latest Surface Book image which has Fall Update, it is your device that is the culprit. I have several classmates with Surface Books and they have no issues whatsoever and they use their devices very entensively (e.g. multiboot environments, games, VMs, programming development, circuit synthesis, video and music playback, heavy usage of third-party applications in general) as engineering students and interns.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. sonichedgehog360

Never mind! I just checked and the Surface Pro 4 recovery image's version number literally just changed in the system. It seriously was has been SurfacePro4_BMR_15_4.53.0 for months, but it is now SurfacePro4_BMR_15_5.223.0. Since, being as geeky as I am, I check the Surface recovery image page for new versions every day or so, I am relatively sure this is the long-awaited new recovery image build which uses Anniversary Update as the base build. I just checked yesterday and it wasn't there, so this is fresh out of the gate as of today. That said, very likely, the same has happened, or will happen soon enough, for the Surface Book as well.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Update: It appears this recovery image is not quite Anniversary Update yet, since the timestamp on the Source folder's WIM and SWM files is 6/22/2016. If the recovery image was also updated for the Surface Book, it is likely also still just pre-Anniversary Update.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Oh I see. If it is only a problem with the dock and not the charger, that is less of an issue (for the reason dale mentioned). But of course it is overcome-able either way.

7. Mesosphere

Watching a shipping tracker is far more agonizing than waiting for water to boil...

soh5, Telstar1948, Bronsky and 3 others like this.
  8. Mesosphere

So far so good with my Surface Book. Little technical difficulties here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary (relative to my experience).

Does anyone know when they plan to re-push the Anniversary update to SB? I guess they halted that due to some bugs? I've grown used to the new changes on my S3 and desktop machines. I've finally started to give Edge a chance as my main browser for example, but without the Anniversary update it doesn't pass my minimum threshold (LastPass and AdBlock). Also, I miss the notification changes. However, I don't want to force the issue and install a build that will cause a major headache.

Edit: Never, mind on the Anniversary update. It got pushed to me this afternoon.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    soh5 and Bronsky like this.
  9. Mesosphere

SB clipboard pushing 15 million pixels (3440x1440+2560x1600+3000x2000). Impressive =)

20160916_170715.jpg

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Somebody around here seems excited about his new toy!!!!!!!!