Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It looks like I will soon be joining the exclusive (based off usage data) SB club. I'll probably be getting the Nvidia, 16GB, 512GB model. My Surface 3 has served me well for my current use case for which it is a companion to desktop machines at home and in my office, but I'll be spending 6-8 weeks on the road in the coming few months and will need to continue to get a hefty amount of work done on my main project not related to the travel. The NVIDA GPU is particularly useful because a significant amount of the data retrieval code I'm developing is CUDA. Hopefully, I'll have better luck than @dstrauss =)

Bronsky and soh5 like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It doesn't take much to have better luck than moi! Actually, everything I've read indicates the teething pains are mostly over and the SB is pretty solid. I know my SP4 sure is rock solid.

3. Mesosphere

That is pretty crazy. I wonder how they didn't catch that.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not sure those are "catch" issues, as the assumption (we all know what that means) is that you will connect teh monitor through the dock when docked, and not through the mini-DP port. As for the exposed SD card slot - BEYOND STUPID, but many laptops do that, including the 'perfect" MacBook Air.

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Finally got to the breaking point with the SB. RMAing it to MS from Japan. Initially it was almost the perfect device until after the AU, then everything's gone south. Can't load a single page without the browser freezing over, unable to watch any YouTube videos on any of the three browsers I have, can't even use the wireless display adapter. Have had to reinstall windows at least 3 times since the AU. So frustrating and I've always had better luck with tech devices.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6. Mesosphere

Ass-uming you don't just have a charger rather than a dock.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Not sure those are "catch" issues...>>

...Really, no excuse for either of these issues, especially considering the amount of empty volume within the case...

bloodycape likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Did you self-install Anniversary Update (AU) or was it pushed to you by Microsoft? I haven't gotten it pushed yet to my SP4, and many others haven't yet, either, and for good reason: there are still many problems Microsoft has yet to fix under the hood. Now, I did try doing a self-install two weeks ago but I immediately restored my Fall Update recovery image because AU is still very much a work-in-progress. For example, if you do a factory reset in AU (I typically do this after an OS upgrade to clean up my system), your Surface will lose the default button actions (Open OneNote, Send Screencap to OneNote, Cortana) and they will also not be listed in the button options under the new "Pen & Windows Ink" settings. Personally speaking, I will not consider even upgrading until Microsoft posts new set of recovery images online with Anniversary Update instead of Fall Update.

9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Steve S and Mesosphere like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First i got it as an insider (release preview ring), but since then I've reinstalled and even opted out of the insider preview and done a fresh install, still the problems persist. To be fair, the insider preview version on my HPE8N and desktop are rock solid, no single problem at all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk