Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll disable in the bios on Monday. I have to either fix it or send back. Oh the joy. :). Thank you.

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

just ordered one from Amazon, waiting for delivery. I really hope there won't be any of these problems. Way too much hassle to ship devices from Japan. No wonder the SB is seeing much lower sales compared to the SP 3/4. Who makes a $2000+ device with such am inexcusable flaw of putting two ports too close that they can't be used simultaneously.

3. excalibur1814

I could have either cried or laughed out loud today.

I moved the usual files, docs, music etc, from the SB to the MD's SP4, brought the SB back to my desk and realised what the issue was.

Are you ready for this? The screen brightness profile, when plugged in, was set to 0%.

I quote, "AAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH" I could just see the screen as the lights are off in this room. Maybe MS needs to raise the lowest screen brightness so there's no issue :) . Glad that it's resolved and, in the future, I'll know what to ask just in case. First time for everything I suppose.

JoeS, dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  4. excalibur1814

There are days where you just feel like a newb. That was yesterday

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Don't feel bad, it took me a while to realize it started at ZERO which is pretty stupid. You can barely see anything in absolute darkness - WHY start at ZERO.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Or at least make sure that a system never starts or wakes on the lowest brightness. I do like that they finally added 0% to the brightness button, because I use that level quite a bit. Previously they had 25% as the minimum on that button, which was pretty bright in dark rooms.

7. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

Gotta say, my SB has been running problem free for the last 2 months (knock on wood). Granted I returned the first three, but maybe this little device is finally out of the woods?

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

New Intel HD driver has been issued. See the SP4 Discussion thread.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  9. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Wrapping up a fresh install of the Anniversary Update on my Surface Book. So far so good, seemed to find all the drivers and whatnot no problem.

Oddly wouldn't complete through Windows Update like it did on my desktop, so went the clean ISO option from a bootable USB.

Definitely liking the improvements! Favorite update so far is Edge Extension Support for some ad blocking.... LONG overdue, will actually give Edge a serious try now.

Still loving my SBook!

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Marty and excalibur1814 like this.