Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I was forced to use the iPad Pro 9.7 for a few days while awaiting the exchange of my Surface Book for a Surface Pro 4. I was shocked that it was "doable" and a very good Windows mini-tablet, but NOT a computer (laptop or ultrabook) replacement by any means.

While only back in the SP4 camp for a day, I had NO video issues (docked with multiple monitors) for first time in three weeks. For SB2 to be a success, they have got to stuff a third battery in the clipboard (there's plenty of room) and add a kickstand - and I know that will make it even more top heavy, but you've got to get at least four hours in clipboard mode, and a tablet that size is worthless without the kickstand.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Uhh ohh! I couldn't help myself...

Surface Book, lowly 128Gb, dGPU, i5. It looked so shiny, for £880, so I couldn't resist the luxurious temptation of being silly. More once it arrives.

Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sweet, looking to snag one like that, but living in Japan, the price is almost twice. This configuration perfectly fits my bill. Will be looking for anyone traveling to the U.S or Canada to pick up one for me

Could you give me the name of the shop? wonder if they'd ship to Japan

4. excalibur1814

One off eBay purchase. Sorry :( Ex-display model but, now that it's arrived, it looks perfect.

Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  5. excalibur1814

Well, it started off with shiny filled eyes but, as can be the case, the Surface Book is not for me so I'm returning to a SP4. Why? Being honest, although it is nice, I feel that I've already travelled along the SB route with 50 other machines over the years. Also these two minor niggles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come on... The darn mDP cable doesn't fit as there's not enough space. That's a pretty poor design issue right there and I'm confused as to why I've not read about it. I'm not about to change all my cables to hunt down thinner items (I do have the dock). A non-flush SD reader is asking for trouble. They should be banned and the last machine that did this, an Asus ROG, didn't stay with me for long (What does). I've ordered an adapter from amazon.

It is a lovely machine, beautiful, so that's why the MD is having it. He currently uses a SP4 core M machine, wasn't interested in the SB until... I ejected the tablet. His eyes widened and you could see the tech lust creep in.

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. dstrauss

And to think you could do all the sames things, and more, with TWO Thunderbolt 3 ports taking up less space than the Surface Connector...:cool:

7. excalibur1814

...and now, with the dock, it will not 'extend' the display. Guuuuuuhhhhhhh. Let the driver fun begin (after using the spare mDP/hdmi and dock just in case)

8. dstrauss

This is going to sound totally stupid, but just keep using the desktop display panel (NOT teh WIndows Settings version); force it to identify all monitors; extend; restart - sometimes it won't even find external monitors, but restart anyway and do it again - it sometimes took me 3-4 tries before the d@%n displays would be recognized by the dock. After that, they may (will?) crap out on occasion, and just go in an search again for displays and it will normally find them after the "fix."

Another thought - disconnect the clipboard, attach it directly to the dock, and see if it recognizes the external displays - I am still convinced (anecdotally) that the issue is the dGPU, and not the intgrated Intel GPU.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  9. excalibur1814

Thank you for the info dstrauss. His model doesn't have the GPU.

He's actually just called, from home, to say that the screen is black until he ejects. When re-connected it turns black, but then remove the charger and, then it re-appears. Madness. Might have to return this one and never buy again (Will update the intel driver in a vain attempt at changing something and do as you've suggested). Lovely machine, but... .

10. dstrauss

@excalibur1814 - There's one more thought I've had, and that is the Hello Kitty camera - I really wonder if it isn't causing excess battery drain and start/stop problems. I never enabled it on the SP4 - fingerprint only.

excalibur1814 likes this.