Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Are you done with Surface Book?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yep - it may just be a bad keyboard experience, but I think it is more fundamental to the dGPU experience: (1) I've been using the clipboard connected directly to the dock for over an hour - not a single flash, dropout, external monitor fault, and before that it was going nuts every 10-15 minutes; (2) reversing screen over keyboard (draw mode) overheats and runs the fan full bore with no relief; (3) just using clipboard - NO FAN NOISE.

I really need to take notes while docked, but it can't stay in that mode for hours, much less all day.

Besides all that, MS support suggested it would be a better move for me.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. soh5

So the saga continues...

4. dstrauss

More like a Greek tragedy. For what it is worth, the clipboard ran straight and video/issue free all day today.

Also, I was offered a chance to switch to another brand in the Microsoft Store but what would that even be - don't want to abondon Surface (but I'm sure MS and the forum faithful here wish I would).

surfaceproartist likes this.
  5. soh5

Thinkpad Tablet 2. Go back to that Dale. It will make you happy.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not that it is any consolation, but my SP3 also occasionally has some strange video problems. I blame the automatic updates. When I start it in the morning rather than getting the lock screen on the SP3 display it will appear on external monitor #2, and then it will have the "slide down to close your computer" message on a non-touch monitor. I feel like MS is mocking me like I was a little girl on the school yard with different clothes .

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

7. dstrauss

I think MS is like the old joke about the masochist and the sadist - the customers say "beat me" and Microsoft goes "noooooooo!"

8. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

As if! What would this entire section be without you? A bunch of happy users with nothing to say, that's what. :p

I, for one, am happy to have you back on the Pro 4 side (even if I'm still only packing a Pro 3).

9. dstrauss

Ha ha ha - @dbrn - you saying you'd miss the court jester...

OK mind-blowing time:

I have inadvertently discovered the BEST mini-Windows tablet, and the reason MS is investing so many resources on iOS - the iPad Pro 9.7. NO - it is NOT a laptop replacement by any means, but for two days, while still Surface deprived, I've been using the iPP with the Apple keyboard cover and AV adapter, and have discovered that Word, Excel and Outlook (yes, use Outlook, not Apple's feeble Mail and Contacts) are great on the little beast. Of course, you can only use one screen at a time (frustrating - but then again, did you REALLY use multiple windows on an 8-9" Windows tablet anyway), but it is amazing how much I have been able to do. I'm using FileBrowser with the built in Apple VPN, and it's like having a private cloud attached to our office server.

Absence of a file system sucks big time, but otherwise it is getting me through a pretty rough patch while awaiting the Surface Book to Surface Pro 4 exchange (or is that re-exchange). Also, with my notebooks stored on OneDrive, it has been doing a more than decent job keeping up with my handwritten notes as well.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I finally visited PC world, over here in the U.K., to touch and caress the Surface Book. It's... lovely. The weight of the tablet is sublime while, obviously, the inclusion of a full fat SD reader is fab. The keyboard seemed to be quite nice to type on and when you press the 'detach' button the noise makes my soul say, "Oooohhhh silky!"

Then I look at the price, recall the kick stand of the SP4, the size of the SP4 and, suddenly, I wake up. The SBook is still shiny and, you never know, I might just be tempted.

P.s. I could never revert to using an iPad pro for full daily duty. It would hurt far too much.

Marty likes this.