Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd like a SB but, being honest, I could never see myself with one until it has a kickstand. SP4 for me until the SP5 or the SB features a kickstand.

alextrela182 likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Bronsky and czm2000 like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Just what the world needs is a more expensive Surface Book.:vbrolleyes: Now, how about a 10" Core M Surface-like device for under $700.

soh5 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Maybe they could make one in Rose Gold and charge a premium for that too...

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Rose Gold is a pretentious way of saying mettalic pink. Get over yourselves Apple.

Mesosphere and southdunes like this.
  6. dstrauss

Ding dong you're wrong - it's their way of saying "we just created another revenue stream to suck the bucks out of those schmucks, uh we mean suckers, uh sorry, we mean loyal fruit ninja fans."

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    alextrela182 likes this.
  7. dstrauss

I reported (elsewhere) more heat/fan problems when used at my desk, specifically if in draw mode (screen reversed over keyboard while docked) -

SURPRISE - used it all day today as a laptop with dock connected - NOT ONE MINUTE of fan noise. It did, however, disconnect from the two external monitors twice in the first 30 minutes, requiring using display properties to "identify and reconnect" - but since then rock solid - and this seems to happen daily - WTH? Does the dock need an hour warm up period?

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Maybe Microsoft put a two stroke engine in the dock?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

9. SuperiorWitt

SuperiorWitt Pen Pal - Newbie

So I endedup purchasing a Surface Book new from the MS store.. two days later I was getting yellow spots on the screen from overheating I guess. Endedup returning the device to re-assess the common problems as well as other options. It really is a gorgeous and seemingly well-manufactured device though.. and there is really nothing else out there that compares. Shame

10. dstrauss

@#$%%^^&&*(**&^%$#@!@!!@#$%^&* :-(

On chat with support (again) - video keeps flashing on and off (whether in dock or laptop); disconnects from docked monitors (but everything else on dock works) and severely overheats and fans run non-stop when in draw mode (screen reversed and resting over keys so you can take notes). Even the MS tech in the chat is getting frustrated with my disconnecting from him.

UPDATE - this is totally weird. Online chat and the Austin store conferred and told me they would just move me back to a Surface Pro 4. Very helpful folks overall, but really strange response from the online folks about the video problems, especially when trying to run it in draw mode. Even stranger was the overall frustration the chat support was expressing with video issues, especially after he called me direct to discuss solutions with the Austin store manager.

Since I'm the only person that seems to still be having these continuing problems I feel lucky they are so helpful....:(

UPDATE 2 - keeps flashing and shutting down (goes to internal screen on laptop only) - so I ripped it apart (well, really just pushed detach button :oops:) and now using it connected to dock through the clipboard - amazing - no flashing, no disconnects, maybe it is just some hardware failure with the keyboard, but I'm over the SB - it is back to SP4 for me...:cool:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016