Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Surface or Bust Senior Member

Well at the office I am usually plugged in for a lot of hours so I am not too worried about battery. If I need a real portable device ill use my SP3. If I am going to be spending that much $ on an i7, I wonder how much it will throttle when in the keyboard dock and plugged in. Makes me wonder why they omitted chip details. Apple talks about the chip they use and the rationale behind them in their keynotes.

2. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd be happy with a 28w chip - do you have a source for your info? - Sorry if you already posted it, I may have missed a page or two of this forum.

Furthermore, do you think the custom 28w chip will have the 64mb of edRAM on its integrated gpu? I guess it doesn't matter too much, given the discrete NVidia, but I still like the idea.

3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I have really been brainstorming what GPU is in this and think I figured it out... its the one from the alienware alpha or similar. The alpha has a modified 860m. I would guess this has a custom 960m. If that is the case, the performance from the dGPU should be pretty decent. In the livestream he mentioned that the games were played using the SB. Gigantic is not too intense but looked good from the recorded video. Panoz also mentioned that the SB was good for playing league of legends. Nvidia just did some tweaking on the 950/960 to make LOL run great on those chips... maybe this was a wink to nvidia and their marketing team because the dGPU in the SB has been tweaked for specific games. Either way, I think the dGPU is going to be pretty solid... now if I can only justify the 2k+ pricetag for something that I do not need and will most likely go on sale come black friday (1 month after release).

Vaga likes this.
  4. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I will be getting the Surface Book. Looking forward to it. If it is close to expectations then I will be selling my Cintiq Companion.

tabletartist4d likes this.
  5. kivuli

kivuli Pen Pal - Newbie

This is still speculation as far as I know, but...

http://ark.intel.com/products/90615/Intel-Core-i7-6822EQ-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

This was posted earlier in this thread. No confirmation on whether this is really THE chip, but it seems a semi-plausible fit.

25W TDP, true quad core. Seems to be a custom part by intel, as there are no other 25w quad cores in their lineup. The only thing I saw that might disqualify it is the fact that the integrated graphics are listed as HD 530, and the specs for all the surface books say HD 520.
    Could still be though. Hopefully we'll know more soon.

I am with you on wanting the 64mb of dedicated graphics RAM...

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

13.5" at 3:2 equals 11.23" x 7.49"

So.., a bit wider than a sheet of printer paper, and an inch narrower.

Great resolution, but physically, it still has a lot less surface area than my current screen. (Which is basically the same as a sheet of 8.5 x 11" paper, if a shade larger.)

Hmm.

I think to be in the same ballpark psychologically in terms of not feeling constrained while drawing at 3:2, I'd want a 15" screen.

Still, this looks pretty cool. I'm impressed.

If the stylus has been perfected, then it looks easily superior to one of those Wacom companion devices.

7. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

So far you're not exactly Matlocking this :rolleyes:... While I might buy into a powered silo, it seems clear that tablets going forward are less, not more likely to have silos, just due to device thinness. Even if powered silos were an option, isn't leaving a capacitor-based battery charging all the time, ie when fully charged, detrimental to lifespan? If so, I'm one of those people who would constantly be worried that I'm killing my stylus leaving it in there. And when the capacitor can only hold a 10-minute charge, will those landfills start getting filled by styli (sp??)?

Seems to me your concerns about dying battery could be remedied by a tiny LED on the stylus. Then the thing is always ready to go, no waiting required. Current pen has the LED already, though I admit I have no idea if adding battery-monitoring tech would render a stylus too bulky to use. Anyway, prosecution rests but reserves the right to recall,.

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hate to say this on a Surface thread, but judging by your description it seems the iPad Pro is a better fit in terms of overall canvas dimensions. Here's a comparison:

[​IMG]

12.9 inch 4x3 display (IPP) vs 13.5 inch 3x2 display (SB)

Even though the IPP has less area (79.88 in² vs 84.12 in²), it's got .3" in more vertical landscape space (7.74" vs 7.49")

I always wondered by every tablet ODM aped the iPad in every way except the screen aspect ratio, which imo was the iPad's best feature.

But hey, if 3:2 becomes the new 16:9--I'm happy :)

stormi, thatcomicsguy and Mesosphere like this.
  9. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure if I missed it during the presentation or on this thread somewhere, but what's the point of the hinge having the gap between the keyboard and dock?

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

So the base can widen as it opens to better counter the weight of the slate. The tendency to topple backwards is often the Achilles heel of detachable designs.