Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Brian123 - sounds like my usual morning "getting out of bed" routine...

On serious note - take it back

2. senritsu01

senritsu01 Pen Pal - Newbie

After up days how is surface book for drawing? I heard the sp4 is better but i want a 2d artist opinion.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Check out my Surface Book review over at SurfaceProArtist.com. I actually prefer the drawing experience of the SB over my admittedly puny SP4, but the convertible form factor isn't ideal compared to pure tablets. I'm hoping that Microsoft takes the SB Clipboard, adds a kickstand and improves battery life and releases it as the Surface Pro 5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senritsu01 and czm2000 like this.
  4. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

SurfaceProArtist,

Can you take a look at the performance issue I'm experiencing on the SB. While it's being returned due to the latch ticking issue previously posted, I'm puzzled how the Surface Pro 3 i3 has a better experience over the SB i7.

As you'll see, within Art Rage 4.5, if the stroke is too fast, it misses the first centimeter of where you actually started. Similarly, if the pen stroke is fast and short, nothing happens. Otherwise, it's responsive once it gets going, but doing small details becomes incredibly clunky.

Same experience occurs in Photoshop, good response, except for the intial start of a stroke.

WinTab is installed, Flicks off, Long Right Click off, visual feedback off. System is up-to-date.

Also, in ZBrush and Modo, using the pen to navigate 3D viewports causes the framerate to go all over the place, causing stutters and drops. Again, does not happen on SP3 i3 with Win7.

I'm scratching my head over this :/

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you check out the GPU power setting adjustment I wrote about this weekend? Perhaps that might help?

The NVidia adaptive power setting seems to put the GPU to sleep, resulting in a hiccup at the beginning of a stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. senritsu01

senritsu01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I love love the 13.5 3:2 inch screen! San that clipboard mode only lasts 3 hours. It's 5 minimum for me.

Hopefully the can just have the surface pro 5 the 12.3 inch and the 13.5 inch with the option of keyboard or type cover we shall see...

7. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, I forgot about that article. It appears to greatly help Photoshop. Though, the same technique had little to no effect on Art Rage, which had the problem using either Nvidia or integrated.

I may consider a Vaio Z Canvas as an alternative.

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be fantastic for people to leave the big hulking keyboard at home and, yep you know it, attach a SP4 keyboard.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

czm2000 likes this.
  10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Neglecting the hot bag issue, that's some very average support. I guess consistency is not their cup of tea.