Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@alextrela182 - I take it this is a pre-2/17 update video (he references they've pushed down a "hot bag fix" at time of his video. I guess that really wouldn't have changed his opinion of the device (and the way the really bungled his support requests).

It is just mystifying to me how some folks have now gotten to a quiet place with their Surface device (like my Surface Pro 4 - knock on wood) while others, despite all the updates, are still snake-bit.

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well here's a quit positive fresh review of the Surface Book.
    Microsoft Surface Book (Core i7/16 GB/512 GB) Review
    https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/mic...rosoft-surface-book-core-i716-gb512-gb-review

Final thoughts
    We’ve really come full circle on Surface Book. When it first shipped, it was a beautiful and well-made device with a curious and unproven hinge design and—for some—serious sleep problems. Today, Surface Book remains beautiful and well made, of course, but the other concerns have (mostly) melted away, as noted above.

And that means that we can now evaluate Surface Book in a new light. We can see it as Microsoft envisioned it, as a well-made premium PC device, one that is beyond the means of most customers, yes. But Surface Book is aspirational, and it shows both potential customers and competitors what’s possible in a modern PC.

Put simply, Surface Book is one of the best PCs in the market today, and one of the best PCs ever made. It is well-designed, powerful, gets great battery life, and is attractive in ways that don’t mimic Apple or other designs at all. It is a triumph, albeit a belated one.

I’ve waited a long time to write these words, but Surface Book is highly recommended

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is pretty cool to hear.

I like the idea of the SB being able to be in sleep mode for seven days and instantly coming back on with 90% of battery life remaining. Sleep mode is fantastic, but I've only had one system where it worked at all reliably, (an old Asus eeePC).

But the question I've not been able to get a clear answer on...

Can that stylus work properly in Photoshop? Have any of these recent updates brought the N-Trig pen up to snuff?

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Photoshop runs extremely well on the N-Trig-equipped VAIO Z Canvas. I haven't tested it on the Surface Book in a while. There's a slightly funky tapering or tearing at the end of strokes that hasn't been corrected yet, but it may not be an issue depending on your drawing style.

On the Surface Pro 4, which I use daily, Photoshop is a drag. Touch gestures require really heavy pressure to register and therefore don't work consistently. This isn't the fault of the m3 processor because similar gestures on similar sized canvases work perfectly in Clip Studio Paint and Sketchable.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sounds like Vaio has the special sauce.

I wonder if they pursued it because they could see MS stopping the supply train, leaving them with the last gen N-Trig system and thus knew they had to work to squeeze every drop of value from it, resulting in... Special Sauce!

-Which.., also as a result of the MS supply line choke hold, may not be shared with competitors.

It's a funny old world.

6. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Concern over hinge and hatch of Surface Book I just received.

Opening the hinge, I can hear like stretch or pull sound here and there. Also, while I know when opening, resistance increases for the last bit. Though, when closing and opening, it feels like it's going back and forth in stiffness. So it's hard to open it smoothly when it alternates between stiff and loose, made worse by the sounds coming from the hinge.

Latch, when detaching, you expect to hear a single click as it's released. Well, on the right side, after the initial click, I hear a mechanical ticking sound that continues indefinitely until it's removed or defaults to reattached.

7. alextrela182

What lot number is your unit?
    Maybe You should try second unit at retail store to make more safety conclusion.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

8. Brian123

Lot number is 1603
    i7/16gb/512gb

I plan to try a unit at a retail store today. I'll also see if I can record these symptoms on my phone and upload.

9. Brian123

Latch release ticking:

Crunchy sounding hinge during open/closing, same when held off table, the best I could. Almost sounds likes there's plastic wrap inside the hinge.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  10. alextrela182

Wow doesn't sound good at all despite not having experience with the device and judging only by several laptop had(and still having at work a Lenovo and Fujitsu laptop)over last years.

Never had/having that kind of cracking.

You should check at retail store second and third unit to make decision either to keep your unit or exchange with brand new one.

Sent from my iPad Air 2