Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's "in the mail." :D

For now, the line in the sand is 3.5# - anything heavier than that, for 13" +/- device, will bring down the wrath of the tech press and users alike. So you can't just fill up the base with battery, and no one has successfully used a dGPU in a slate device.

Now, I FULLY SUPPORT your Thunderbolt 3 recommendation, and will triple down - yes, get rid of the proprietary dock/power, USB 3, and miniDP and go with THREE Thunderbolt 3 ports - heavenly.

Zeelobby likes this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's a shame, because I can definitely live with a 2.5lbs tablet (like the Canvas) and a 2.5lbs keyboard.

The Iris Pro performs more or less like a dGPU, I can see this making great strides in the coming Intel releases, there's no need for an nVidia dGPU in portable devices anymore (unless you want an upgrade path, which never existed anyway for tablets)

I think a full-sized USB A port and HDMI would still come in handy for backwards compatibility. You could then choose whether to connect a UHD display or an external GPU or a ten-gigabit Ethernet or something else to the Thunderbolt 3 port, and still not have to carry any dongles at $50 a piece.

3. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm afraid that will make the overall combo too heavy.

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd cry

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

Thought about this some more...the total weight of the combo could be kept the same and the effective weight of the tablet portion when docked could be reduced by having two batteries in it. One smaller permanent one and one larger modular one that could go into either the keyboard unit or the tablet unit. When docked the larger battery would slide into the keyboard. This would reduce the weight of the tablet and increase the weight of the keyboard providing more stability and enabling more rotation and viewing angles. The tablet could be undocked with just the smaller battery or with both batteries depending on the need. This would have the added step of moving the modular battery when it is needed in the tablet but that might be okay because it might not be done that often anyway. This would require allowing room in the keyboard unit for the modular battery so that might not work. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  6. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey folks, my Surface Book is about to arrive this week, LOT 1546 so not very "new", but I hope it won't have bleeding light problem. Got a couple of questions:

1. How much "scratchable" this device is? Is it painted or some other technology is used? I'm thinking about such thing: getting http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi®-TechSkin-Replacement-Definition-Anti-Bubble/dp/B016AQ37HU

2. Any cases recommendations? I'd like something very very good in terms of protection and something that won't make scratches on the device.

3. What's the best method to detect bad pixels?

4. Apart from light bleed and bad pixels, should I look for some other "popular" hardware problems after unpacking? Something I should pay special attention?

Thanks!

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

mike_TPR likes this.
  8. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Steve, but I'm thinking about something like an invisible shield, so that I won't loose the amazing look of the device :)

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm thinking about something like an invisible shield, so that I won't loose the amazing look of the device...>>

...Take a closer look at StickerBoy's metallic-finished films. The metal finishes are a close match to the Surface's natural finish...

10. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The dealbreaker for me was clipboard battery life. I do realize Toshiba's Z20t is Core M, but they squeezed equal batteries in the tablet/dock, and made the weight of both equal to the SB.

When Microsoft does that, I will consider the SB. If you're taking notes all day at school, and after 2 lectures I have to dock the clipboard, it's now a 3.5lb tablet. Completely defeats the purpose, IMO.