Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

I used to have that problem with returns and getting put on the no returns list with my local BB all the time. They seem to have stopped it at my store and I am almost positive it is done on a store by store basis so if they ever really do try to stop your return I'm pretty sure you can just take it to another store and you won't have any problems at all.

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, I was being a little cheeky and only half serious. Definitely understand your dilemma and feel bad you (and everyone else) is going through these various problems

3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now now. Let's not be completely ignorant of the fact that many people simply use mobile devices with consistent operating systems and hardware as alternatives. Recent retired parents of my friends and I mostly use their ipads and Chromebooks these days. If I wasn't tech obsessed and didn't PC game, I wouldn't own a PC honestly. I use my Android tablet/phone for most of my at home computing needs, heading to my desktop when I want to play, or using my work supplied laptop when I need to work. There's just much less need for a full operating system personal computer these days.

Even then, at work we've begun using VM solutions and thin clients more and more.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No worries at all. I thought it was great and actually laughed out loud. Especially since I kind of deserved it I try not to take life too serious.

But having been in this situation before with a device, and when I think of how close I was to having one of these SB's myself (before I cancelled my order) my heart goes out to you all! So disappointing.

I hope you're able to eventually find the right device (maybe a future SB) or at least peace with the SP3 for a while longer. I loved my SP3. It was one of the devices I'd held onto longest. But alas, I'm really a 70%+ laptop kind of user and so it wasn't conducive to the way I work. Accept the weight and a couple tiny hiccups, I've been extremely happy with the latest Yoga 14...thankfully.

Best wishes!

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Here's my wake up message this morning from my "trusty" Surface Pro 3:

[​IMG]

Actually - this is a sample off the web - the picture I took of my screen was too large to upload. It was a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (again)...the dark side is starting to look better all the time...

soh5 likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Was my SP3 just expressing its sadness over the loss of its Surface Book pal, or is Microsoft trying to send me a message (I think I like the nondescript BYOD days myself)...

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe both:p
    So many time we have criticized MS and that's how responds to us With Blue screen or defective unit or both of them too!

Sent from my iPad Air 2

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha. Dang. Sorry man. Is it weird that I've always had less issues with non-MS hardware and Windows than with MS hardware? I mean I know they're new to the whole hardware game, at least comparatively. But their QC and testing seems to be all over.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

That's what surprised me the most. I haven't had a BSOD in years, on any of the six Acer, Dell, HP laptops in the house and even the desktop I built. And those laptops are usually used by people who aren't so technologically inclined.

When I browse Lenovo's or Dell's support pages, I rarely see users complain about bluescreens. I thought they were a problem of yesteryear, of Windows Vista.

But, I feel like this past launch (SP4/SB) shows plenty of BSODs and seemingly random previous Surface devices get them once in while. It's a weird sense of irony, that the Surface devices are supposed to show the most that is possible with Windows.

But, maybe it's confirmation bias now.

soh5 likes this.
  10. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Does your company block access to the Windows Store or the application itself?

It seems to be available on the normal website, too.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44989

But, yeah...it's funny to see Microsoft push HiDPI without making even Windows' built-in utilities DPI aware.