Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone use remote desktop regularly on their surface book? I'm constantly remoting into servers for my job. One of the biggest issues I have is remote desktop scaling. Everything is dreadfully small. If I set custom settings in RDC properties all it does is shrink the size of the full screen window - not change the scaling.

I tried using remote desktop connection manager and adjusted the display resolution there - it does the exact same thing. I saw someone on TechNet suggested using the Windows Store remote desktop app as it handles this more appropriately. That is not an option because my company blocks access to it.

Any ideas?

ikjadoon likes this.
  2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sell the SB, buy a ThinkPad Yoga 14, use balance of the money to take a much deserved vacation

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

[​IMG]

Zeelobby and czm2000 like this.
  4. DavidfromCanada

DavidfromCanada Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone willing to share their real world experience on battery life?

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Battery life is par for the course. While in laptop or docked backwards mode I am able to consistently get 8 hours of plain OneNote, Chemdraw, Pub med searches.

Clipboard mode gives me roughly 1 hour and 45 mins. Nothing close to the 3 hours as they mentioned.

This is all at the "suggested" brightness. Battery life is OK. Nothing to write home about.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

SURFACE BOOK

[​IMG]

Strike three (and four) came today. Court hearing with displayed exhibits - and the external video just craps out; even reset won't get me back...:(

Got back to office - another hard reset and another 3 hours of stability - then I have big conference call with my hand annotated pdf, original, and schedule up on my two big screens; taking notes in OneNote on the SB, and wham, external monitors shut off, SB blinks but comes back up in OneNote, but NO TASKBAR. Even alt tab won't bring my annotated version back up, and of course, I wasn't smart enough to print the originals off "just in case." All I can say is I'm glad it wasn't video conference :oops::mad:

So, it has gone back to Best Buy. Despite the corporate tracking black ball saying no returns, our local manager is a great guy, and he said try an SPro 4 for a couple of months if I want until they really get SB working - he's had a LOT of i7/512gb SB's coming back, including three different display models. He said he talked to MS rep this morning, explained my exact problem(s) and the rep just basically told him no comment.

I decided not to take the offer (for now) and just retreat to my SP3 (thank goodness it hadn't sold yet). For all my big talk about testing the "dark side" I still can't let go of offline files, Windows snap, and my general Windows environment. My warranty is good until September; SP4 is still not that great of an upgrade; and I keep lusting for a "bezel-less" tablet for laptop/docked use.

AND @czm2000 - an honest apology for making fun of your recommendation - you were mostly right (except for buying a Yoga - not really satisfaction for a tablet note taker).

7. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Not an option. It was deployed by my place of business for testing. There are others having issues to so im asking for them as well. Microsoft seriously cant have zero solutions for something like this?

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Damn man. I'm sorry. Nothing worse then having hardware fail when needed. Luckily I got to play around with it for a month without needing to have work done on it. I'm glad your SP3 is still kicking though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome to Windows! And people wonder why PC sales continue to drop.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

PC sales drop because the PC revolutionary upgrades ended about 10 years ago and now there are only minor evolutions from year to year. A PC you bought 3 years ago is nearly as good as anything you can buy today so why bother?