Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

10% failure rate isnt very optimistic odds. :D

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If they could only find a good 1 in 10 that would be tracking for a 90% failure rate.

3. soh5

Reworded... Optimistic for fail boating. :)

czm2000 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmmmmm...still running pretty good, but second black screen start (from sleep/hibernate) with red camera (infrared) light running. Took forced power off (hold down power button for 20-30 seconds) and worked correctly on restart. Of course, that keeps me edgy...but

Love the screen, and it is nearly silent, except if I have it reversed over the keyboard on my desk (so I can take notes) and then fan runs fairly regularly, although not near as loud as the SPro 3. I would really like this one to succeed, but I'm also concerned about the reports on tablet latching above.

5. soh5

Yeah, there was another customer in front of my screaming about her Surface Book experience. She was really upset about the locks and screen crashes, but you know it makes 0 sense to yell at the people on the floor. They have 0 say in product engineering or quality control.

At the end of the day, its a product that should have been developed more extensively, and the constant locks and hardware failures could be avoided.

It is true as what @dstrauss has said... the SP4 offers the best angle for taking notes. Sometimes I wish I never sold off my Thinkpad Yoga, only to be dissapointed with the Surface Book.

I have come to realize, even with the gamer in me, I don't need to lug around a dGPU bound machine. I am sure the minor video editing I do can be handled fine with the Iris GFX 540.

I've watched all of cbutters videos on throttlign on the Pro 4, and it looks like it is a voltage dependent throttling instead of a thermal throttle, which is good. (Thank you @cbutters)

With the improvements to the trackpad and the type cover in the new generation I am going to be quite comfortable knowing there will not be much compromise in a true laptop like experience.

6. soh5

Dang you think its Edgy, @Bronsky thought it was leggy. ;)

Bronsky likes this.
  7. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have any updated info on the SB patch for sleep not eating my battery? It's supposed to be out this month, right?

8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I enjoy the talking. One thing I'd be interested to hear about from the SB community is the amount of time they spend using SB in the various configurations. I think about how the 2-in-1 makers like to advertise "tent mode" and folding the display back on itself. I don't think I'd ever use either of those. Wouldn't want edge scratches from tent mode and don't like the idea of potentially ripping off a keycap with keyboard folded back.

But I digress...

The point seems to be that marketing/engineering seems o provide flexible configurations, but it'd be interesting to know how many folks actually use it.

Case in point, 80% of the time my SP2 is used with a Power Cover. 10% of time I use it in the dock and the rest as a note taking tablet. So conceivably, I could make due with a laptop and a decent dock.

What about you SB users? How often do you...
    1. Use it as a laptop?
    2. Detach screen / tablet?
    3. Folded screen / tablet?
    4. Docked?

9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When I had it i used it as a laptop 80% of the time, folded screen 18% of the time, and tablet maybe 2%. The battery makes it a poor tablet. So I guess in my use case going with a Thinkpad Yoga probably would make more sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Mine has become almost 100% as a laptop, or reversed over the keyboard in docked mode (as a desktop with pen screen). I just haven't had much luck as a tablet (clipboard) because it almost always crashes when reconnected more than 5-10 minutes after detaching. When I just disconnected, flip, and reattach (to start the day on my desk) it usually works fine, although a few times it too crashes/resets. If I take it to a meeting, however, it invariably crashes when reattached after the meeting - that is getting to be a PITA. It invariably goes "black screen" requiring a power button shutdown (30 second hold) and restart.

This is sad, because in portrait mode, I really feel like I am using a legal pad, which is awesome. The inking is better than the Surface Pro 3 (first time I've admitted that, and nearly as good as Wacom EMR). I want this one to work!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016