Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ha-ha. Yeah. I'm back into watch mode. I have to admit, Razers new Core external dock w/GPU has me looking for a light weight tablet with TB3 again. If only it had Wacom EMR to boot

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. DavidfromCanada

DavidfromCanada Pen Pal - Newbie

What is everyone's real world battery life like?

I've been getting 6hrs pretty consistently on general office tasks / web surfing on the i5/256/dGPU. It seems short even with battery saver feature on.

3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sorry strauss , don't have a SB let alone the new docking station so I wont be much help but I hope it gets sorted out for you soon. (just like the darn power update for CS fixes etc)

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks folks. Some enterprising users over at Surface Forums have suggested disabling connected standby with regedit (brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr), setting up a new power profile (which they say will "stick" with all options available), re-enable connected standby, then customize away. Maybe I'll get brave tonight...

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Ok so this is my third SB, Lot #1549 trial 3. Ran updates completely, still getting the screen locks. I am going back to the Surface Pro 4. The detach mechanism is just not ready for live field work. I will miss the gorgeous 13.5" screen and extra horse power from the dGPU. Great product and I expect Gen 2 to be amazing.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The problems with the detach mechanism is really surprising to me. Panos presentation worked flawlessly, I wonder if they have several suppliers for that part?

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

7. soh5

Yeah its really problematic. I went to go show my Professor a paper and tried to detach my book from the keyboard base and it had the usual hang.

At least with the Pro 4, it doesnt rely so much on a detach mechanism.

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well. Just cause the presentation model worked doesn't mean the 10 they tested for the presentation did, or that the mechanism won't deteriorate with use. With how fast the hardware was rushed (Intel drivers I'm looking at you) I'd be curious to see how much wear/tear testing actually went into the device.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. soh5

It makes me wonder how stable the "muscle" wire hinge mechanism is. At least with the Thinkpad Yoga's the hinge mechanism is rated for 50,000 operations (flips) and these apparently have been tested in each Yoga.

Nevertheless, the SP4, though has driver isssues, it wont be as problematic as the book.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You think they had to try 10 SB to find one? Wouldn't that be a sign that it isn't ready for general release? Considering the fiasco of the first generation I would assume they'd be careful not to repeat it. But maybe they think differently in Redmond.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket