Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Thanks Kuma - sometimes I think I'm the epitome of the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over the same way, but expecting a different result. But the strange thing is I really want this to succeed for me; I want Windows 10 to succeed; and most importantly I believe the Surface line is truly the best design out there among Windows devices.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Now, can you imagine how good they would work if they let competent people run the company?

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

3. dstrauss

Anyone else have problems with the new dock and the SB? The dock was rock solid with the SP3, but with the SB it starts disconnecting/reconnecting all of the USB devices (not the video) every few seconds until you reboot, then will run 5-10 minutes and start it again. I ran across a workaround on the Windows site to go to Device Manager and uncheck the option to let the SB turn off USB devices to save power on ALL USB devices - so far it's run for a couple of hours without disconnecting.

Backwards compatibility has ALWAYS been Microsoft's Achilles heel - so they design a dock connector that passes through USB and displayport, but is NOT a universal system bus, or at least Thunderbolt 3...:mad::confused::eek::rolleyes:

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good luck! I'll definitely be following your journey.

After taking a hiatus from the forums I just used my SB for about a month (sometimes its good to put on earmuffs to get a good register on a device). Anyway, I ended up returning it. From the still existing occasional hiccup in keyboard attachment to the lightbleed? I just couldn't justify the price. I mean lightbleed should really not exist on a premium product, and if Samsung can offer lightbleed free displays on their cheaper premium ultrabooks, I really can't justify paying the extra price and having it still exist.

I mean maybe expecting flawlessness is just too much to ask, or maybe my MBP has just spoiled me, but at this point I'd rather buy a flawed much more affordable companion device with pen input, then pay premium for a device that still has flaws.

That said, my Cube i7 is still performing admirably. And I'm waiting to see if Wacom's new universal AES stylus improves some manufacturer's AES offerings. So I'm going to revert back to wallfly and just watch the journey, haha.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ikjadoon likes this.
  5. dstrauss

Come back, @Zeelobby, come back...

Don't abandon the free-for-all fun around here so easily. I agree, a premium device, at premium price, deserves PREMIUM QUALITY. I guess lightbleed has never really bothered me (don't use it in the dark), but everything else is fair game.

I guess my jealousy is showing, but I've always wanted a MacBook Pro, and the Surface Book is the first laptop that has ever made me feel like I have that. I know that is silly beyond belief, but that's just the way I feel about this (even if it didn't convert to a tablet).

So I am beginning to get "invested" as the younger generation says. I can see a future where the base becomes more of a dock with options a somewhat heavier, but power laden upgrade for the clipboard (980 class NVidea with 2gb ram; second SSD; Thunderbolt; more battery); or how about a base just stuffed FULL of battery for real 20 hour travel life...hmmmmm...sounds interesting. Mix and match custom clipboards and bases...my oh my.

So I sure hope this one doesn't crap out on me...it's already lasted one day longer than the last two tries...:cool:

thatcomicsguy, WillAdams and Zeelobby like this.
  6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Once Microsoft matches clipboard and base batteries like Toshiba did in the Z20t, I'll reconsider a Surface Book. 3 hour tablet battery life is just a joke.

Tablet and dock weight of the Z20t is exactly the same as the SB, so I know it can be done.

I know hardware between the two is vastly different. Just making a point.

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Is it weird I like coming here to talk technology more than I do talking to my friends about netflix shows? (Primarily because I dont use Netflix)...

Dale please do keep me updated. Which Lot # did you get this time? Does it have the samsung or Toshiba drive?

I am so burned out on the whole affair with Surface Book right now. I just want a reliable machine at this point. IT is getting really old having to do cold reboots of my system to get it to work. This is just from waking up my machine too from sleep.

Who wants to deal with that anymore? It was cute the first week since the device was so novel... Now its like are you freakin kidding me?

8. dstrauss

Well, sure hope this one holds up better. Its lot number 1548 (which isn't much help to the ego since the last one I returned was lot 1549). It has the Samsung drive (as did the other two) - does that mean I already have two strikes.

9. dstrauss

Guess I'll just keep talking to myself...

SB is running pretty good, but the annoying USB disconnect came back, and it appears that the power management change in device manager (turn off option to selectively suspend) doesn't stick - and there is no USB setting in advanced power management. I've unchecked power management in device manager, and disconnects have stopped, but how do I make this PERMANENT!

Otherwise this has been a real pleasure this time. Very stable; not too much fan activity, and definitely much more quiet than the Surface Pro 3, and the screen and performance are to die for. Only took them two months but still no sleep absent hibernation.

PS - the trackpad on the Surface Book is 95% of a MacBook trackpad - and that is an incredible compliment to Microsoft (the best Windows trackpad I've ever used previously was 50% of a Mac trackpad at best). In fact, I have used it at home without a mouse without any problem. Sorry I forgot to give props for a very underrated feature of this beast.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    thatcomicsguy and soh5 like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm sure many of us are watching to see how this goes. For me, it is all academic, since I'm not really interested in the Surface Book.

soh5 likes this.