Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Welps in that case I will be getting the Pro 4 and waiting for SB2.

Too many lock ups for this thing. I like the Pro 3 already but it was stolen in a recent car prowl (yes, screw those holiday thieves!), the Pro 4 seems like a logical step.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My condolences. Was it in shopping mall parking lot? Is always wondered what the risk was, leaving my tablet in the car.

Well the good news is, now you have to upgrade. And there are soo many juicy looking tablets coming out at CES. :)

3. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

They'd be nuts to release badly running SB and SP2, 3, and 4 at launch too, so I'm seeing a hole in your logic about sanity. But...I agree with your timing regardless. Here's to hoping the sanity improves for next year too.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL! Good point, and having been an owner of the early Surface Pros, 1 and 2 and knowing it didn't get decent until my SP3, I should know better than to make a statement like that

5. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

SP2 was very decent. I like the pen even more than today's MS ones. And it never throtteled.
    But they all had their quirks in the beginning. No matter if SP2,3 or now 4. Same procedure as last year, James.

6. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Not to derail this discussion too much, but CES 2016 is here! :D

If anyone wasn't that sold on the detachable Clipboard, some traditional convertibles have some really nice upgrades this year.

7. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm still running an SP1 at home. Too solid to even consider an upgrade yet.

8. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To each his own. The SP3 was the first tablet device I was able to do serious work on.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, as I posted elsewhere, I'm back for a final trial of the Surface Book (i7/512gb). I kind of see this as "third time is a charm" or "three strikes any you're out." It wasn't just SP3 driver pains (because when it was working it was great), but a desire to have a real laptop again. I kept wandering over to the MacBook Pro tables (13" and 15") but there are so many common tasks that are just so much better on a Windows laptop (Windows snap; offline file folders; better change tracking in Windows Word 2016; easier network and network printer connections; and the list goes on). I compared the SB, Dell XPS 13 and 15, different Lenovo and HP laptops, and read up on the disclosures at CES - and I always kept coming back to the Surface Book. It's like they took a MacBook 13 and swapped the screen for an iPad.

Now I know you all discovered this months ago, but my point is not to just "me too" but to try to explain my decision process, and why I'd try a third time to make the Surface Book work for me. Maybe I am just plain nuts. If it fails me a third time, then I will have a serious discussion with myself about going to the darkside - which entails giving up on handwritten notes. Here's hoping that sleep fix will be here soon.

Speaking of that, however, I've followed the advice of all you pioneers, installed every driver and update, and set the SB to hibernate after 15 minutes of sleep. It's only the first 24 hours, but no lockups and no drain in sleep (about 1-2%) between shutdowns of various length. 15 minutes gets me to almost any meeting before hibernation, but even restart from hibernate is pretty quick (knocked on wood first).

Here we go...

ikjadoon likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Rest assured that you are not alone.