Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. hitman

hitman Scribbler - Standard Member

Why don't you get something like this for it, to protect it from scratches:
    http://www.skinit.com/device-skins/laptop-skins/microsoft-laptops/surface-book?p=6

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's all about being lucky unfortunately,but again if you disable bitlocker will see better performance.

Actually it's not so bad the 256 drive from Samsung.
    The 128 version actually is totally crap on m3/i5 SP4.

But when you pay premium price you expect premium under the hood components minumum.

Very bad decisions from MS offering different SSD drive and not identical with same very high level of performance.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    Luft likes this.
  3. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

I probably will end up going with something like that in the end, I just have to keep stickers off it until Feb for the bar exam. When I took Colorado's they made me take them all off my last laptop and I was ticked, it took me a while to get all the brewery stickers I had on there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vaga likes this.
  4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

Very good to know, thanks. I will figure out how to disable bitlocker and hopefully free up some of the speed on tap.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

MSGaldenzi likes this.
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Luft likes this.
  7. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

The Surface Book is not an artist friendly device. I just brought one home today. Aside from the stupid issues that seem to plague the device (speaker popping, issues with detaching the keyboard, I have them all), I was hoping it would be a decent drawing experience. I tested the new pen and liked it awhile ago, but that's not the problem at all. The problem is that in order to see anything without straining your eyes, you have to scale the display to 200%, like it comes from the factory. If you set it to 100% it looks ridiculous.

The problem with this is that artwork looks like crap with scaling. You never get a real representation of the final artwork on the device. Why would they put in such a high res display when everything looks bad in Windows when it's scaled? It's stupid and it will probably never get fixed because Microsoft probably won't follow up with a real tablet OS after the RT failure. If you have to use a scaling hack in order to jump on the ppi competition train, you're doing it wrong. Other people probably won't even notice, but I noticed it everything was pixelated right away. I can guarantee they were banking on people not noticing.

As much as I hate to admit, the iPad Pro looks damn good right now. Sure, I can't run desktop apps, but I'm not sure I really want to run desktop apps on a tablet anymore because desktop just really means it's unfriendly to small screens. If Microsoft gets their act together or if someone in the Android camp comes out with a serious competitor I'll gladly jump ship.

As for the Surface Book. It's going back. It'll never get fixed with future updates. It has 1000 too many pixels in both directions to ever work properly. It's a 13.5 inch screen for crying out loud. My 27 inch monitor at 1440p is perfect res. The Surface Book res is just plain silly.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What if you keep it at 100% and let the art program do all the scaling while you work?

-Photoshop puts out a very sharp image at every % scale neatly divisible/multiplied by factors of 2. CSP pumps out a good image pretty much at every maginfication.

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree that UI scaling is a drag and very hit and miss, but I've never seen artwork that looks bad when scaled unless the intent is to produce 1080p work, for instance. If that's the case, you can always change the SB's resolution to 1920 x 1200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yeah, Android has been eerily quiet on this topic for at least a year now. Surprised me that there is no high resolution pen device on that platform yet. It is as if Samsung threw in the towel.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.