Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Someone know how to reset Windows Update? It's stuck and won't budge one way or the other despite restarting. In other words, it has some oddball updates but won't download, and that appears to be blocking any other updates that become available. Is there a file I can delete someplace that will reactivate Update?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Google Windows update troubleshooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

At least Joe didn't give you any round about but addressed it straight and honestly. On answers.Microsoft I almost always get canned responses, that is why I prefer to ask here.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Joe definitely doesn't write like a low-level employee. I thought he might be Joe Belfiore, but my understanding is that he only works on the OS side, not on hardware.

5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

just installed RadialMenu and i have to say its pretty awesome. Might use it to remap pen clicks, especially to get pen to open full OneNote. Any recommendations that will do the same but maybe better?

http://radialmenu.weebly.com/

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm not surprised. I had purchased Complete Care online for an in store purchase (M80TA) and the store had a nightmare getting approvals from the online people to handle my claim. There is this odd separation between brick & mortar stores and the online MS Store. Would love to see MS fix this.

soh5 likes this.
  7. Zeelobby

Yeah. You'd think if you registered the device based on serial number they should have no issue looking things up. Maybe require a sales number/order number as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Even seemingly disfunctional companies like Acer and Asus can do that. I get a sense that Microsoft has made some faustian bargain with a company that gets incredibly overpaid to run the online operation and nobody thought to integrate it with the company stores before the operation went live.

Zeelobby likes this.
  9. Zeelobby

Anyone else notice that if you push upwards on the bottom of the keyboard you can feel it stick to something, and then it makes a popping noise if it unsticks. I'm not sure if it's just excess glue that the flex touches, or whether it's supposed to be glued solid, and it just came unglued. So far it hasn't negatively affected anything, was just curious if anyone else noticed this flex, stick, pop?

10. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just replaced my I7/256/8Gb (batch 1542) with a nice i7/512/16Gb, batch 1543.

Here's my thoughts, after updating to the 11/18 firmware, and the fall windows 10 update.

1. Still a Samsung NVMe harddrive, sad times! I was hoping for a Toshiba.
    2. The hinge feels stiffer, and better - my previous model had a soft spot, near the end of its travel, which would cause the screen to tilt further back (thanks gravity) if I tilted the whole laptop back even a little. No such problem here on my new model.
    3. @Zeelobby - I tried pushing up on the base under the keyboard - no popping, no flex, no stick. How hard should I press?
    4. My connected-standby problems seem to be solved (so far, I've only had it one day)! current sleep study shows some activity, but no more 100% use of cpu, wifi-card, & gpu as was common on my last model. tentative yay!
    5. Pen - just as excellent as the first!
    6. Display driver still crashes & recovers regularly - sigh.
    7. I guess I'm in for a penny, in for a pound; At $2100, the i7/256/8gb made me cranky, performance wise. I use Visual studio & Resharper C++ on a large project, and I would often run up to 8GB ram use. If I'm gonna spend this kind of $$, I'm going all in! ~2X read/write speeds on the SSD, plus double the ram for $2700 has turned my crankiness into happiness, even though objectively yeah this thing is still too expensive for its components. Its just the only thing around with a 13.5 inch, 3:2 aspect, work-of-art screen.
    8. I wish the screen was IGZO, like the SP4, so it could be even brighter and use less power - but ah well.
    9. I use a cheapo supershieldz matte screen protector, which makes the soft pen-nib feel real weird, but the H nib feels pretty good.