Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The rep only wrote "this week."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. surfaceproartist

ikjadoon and Zeelobby like this.
  3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And another update to address the previous update .
    I think I have ants in my pants .

dstrauss likes this.
  4. GaresTaylan

GaresTaylan Pen Pal - Newbie

Update is out. Installed without issue here. I haven't had any issues since installed but users on other forums still reporting display driver issues. Edge still is a mess.

5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think the driver was changed for the display..but no release notes yet to see what was updated

6. surfaceproartist

7. surfaceproartist

Interesting information on today's update, posted by a user named "Joe" from Microsoft:

"...I wont give exact details. But it is a fix in CPU microcode that is put into the UEFI. <Short answer...

Weeks and Weeks of finding a consistant repro and debugging in a lab to find the exact instruction that was causing it... <Long Answer....

This will fix this issue for the majority of users. "

8. surfaceproartist

This "Joe" sounds pretty knowledgeable.

"The microcode comes from Intel. We integrate it into UEFI. It is not a "workaround" it is a "fix"

"It is not a "CPU" issue and it is important that you understand that. it is a CPU microcode issue and they are not the same. There are instructions provided to the CPU from the UEFI.

-Joe"

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought mine from Best Buy, but I waited for it to come off the truck. It was sealed properly, but it also had a user set up with a password I didn't have. I've read of other people running into this same issue. It appears this has happened before being boxed. Why this is happening is anyone's guess at this point. I had to reset my SB to get past the unknown password. My SB had no indication of prior use at all. Similar story that others tell.

10. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought my SP3 at Best Buy a little over a year ago, then went online at the MS store and bought Complete Care. I bought my SB from Best Buy last week intending to buy Complete Care with MS afterward as I'd done with my SP3. When I contacted MS to do this, I was told that their policy has changed since last year. Now, you either buy the SB from them and Complete Care at that time, or you take your SB to a MS store, let them look at it, and then buy Complete Care. I explained to the MS rep that I was 2.5 hours away (one way) from the nearest MS store. She commiserated with me, but said my the only other option was to return my SB to Best Buy and buy one through them (delivered in December if online or go to the nearest MS store) buying the Complete Care at that time. Needless to say I wasn't going to take a 5 or 6 hour trip to buy Complete Care so I went back to Best Buy and bought their Service Plus, which is tech support and accidental damage coverage.