Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well the few times I've read about it over the years it's been various makes and models.

I think with what Lisa is saying and the frequency with which it's happened to others and with the same device, it's probably safe to presume you're on the safe side if this mishap and it's just a production error on Best Buy's part.

That wouldn't stop me from going to Best Buy and complaining and requiring an open box price. On something like this I wouldn't expect anything more than 10% off, but it's the least they can do for your inconvenience, if you know what I mean :)

2. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ha-ha. True. I already got 30% off with movers (one from an actual move, ha-ha) and discover card/Apple pay deal. But I'll just reset and use.

Any recommendations on best accident protection to buy? Best buy, square trade or MS?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vaga likes this.
  3. czm2000

I've purchased both MS and Square Trade over the years. I've never had to use either's accidental coverage, but I always lean towards MS if I have one of their devices since I've had great experiences with their support, they have good coverage, and heck, who better to cover the device than the manufacturer... That is assuming they don't suck, and as previously mentioned, MS has been solid for me in that regard.

4. czm2000

I don't think a dead battery would create a new user. Doesn't make sense.

To me it would make more sense that having used that user for QA, and probably leaving signed in, and ultimately the device going into sleep mode for its journey to store shelves undoubtedly would run the battery down.

And there you have it, more potential evidence that it was in fact just a QA mishap

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Jeez. What a pain.

Maybe when you take it back for a fix, you can nudge them into giving you a discount for an open box, which it obviously was.

I sincerely hope they don't try to play dumb and deny responsibility. How the heck do you unlock one of those things once the PW has been set?

I guess the option remains to simply return it for a full refund.

Ugh. First World Problems, I know, but seriously, nothing bites in quite the same way as spending big bux and having to put up with stupid **** like that.

Let us know how it turns out.

6. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think anyone created any account. It went into some kind of "hibernation" state (hibernate is not on). Recovery from the state is a login screen. Since no account was created before the state, the login screen shows "other user" as a default user. You cannot login since there is no user/password pair created. The only way to recover from there is to reset. It will go back to correct setup screen. I think engineers in Microsoft took shortcut, did not consider this state in their Finite State Machine drawing.

You can check if this is correct by resetting your machine and go through the setup. Then go to accounts to see if there is any other accounts created. Mine did not.

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Not to get off topic, but I am sure this could happen to anyone, anywhere in the world purchasing a new device like a laptop or phone.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've had nothing but a great experience with MS Complete care warranty service.

bloodycape likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea I would et MS complete worked get all the times I have had it. Even have it on my Xbox

MetalSiren

10. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

It's not an open box. It's in a test state. Sometimes it leaves the manufactures site that way.

Microsoft does random pulls of machines off the line to see if they boot up. Some forget to return it to its initial state via booting it and holding down the shift key, restarting, and doing a wipe in recovery before putting it in the box to be shipped and sold

thatcomicsguy likes this.