Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

So far, things are golden with my new SB. It worked without issue out of the box, and is continuing to do so despite downloading the firmware and Windows updates since! Again, it's early days for me and the SB. I'm slowly getting things put over from my SP3, installing software and re-configuring everything...tedious, time consuming work. I set up Windows Hello last night, and it acts amazingly fast...man, does this blow the doors off anything else I've used to "sign in" before! I left it plugged in last night and didn't shut it down, just closed the lid. Opened the lid this morning and hit the touch pad; that beautiful screen blossomed immediately ready to go. No hiccups. I can't help but feel that lightning may strike at any moment after monitoring all the threads concerning issues since the SB debuted. Hopefully, that won't happen but... :oops:

Utan-chan, Azzart, soh5 and 1 other person like this.
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Vaio Z Canvas vs. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book Comparison Smackdown

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Zeelobby and Luft like this.
  3. saeedkunna

saeedkunna Pen Pal - Newbie

hello
    how long does battrey stay with normal use video + web surfing? i've seen reviwes saying from 8 up to 13

4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pretty much solidifies my choice in a SB over the other 2. Does anyone have an idea of wait times on a freshly ordered device?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

My SB will be in this Friday (11/20). Mainly because I pre ordered the i7/512/16gb option. I preordered the first week.

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I was just doing some measurement research.

-BTW, I find it strange that nobody seems to care enough to talk about X,Y dimensions (in inches or centimeters) when it comes to screen size. -I mean, the diagonal size standard is terrible, and was adopted I think in part because it was easier to be deceptive in sales materials, making screens sound bigger than they really are. -Or maybe it's because the manufacturers just figure their customer base is so dumb that holding more than one number in their head at a time would be too challenging. What surprises me is the level of acceptance of both the public and reviewers of this information-poor standard in discussions.

Anyway.., after hunting for a bit, one learns that the Surface Book screen is, (drum roll please),

7.5" x 11.2"

My go-to benchmark for acceptable size on a screen intended for use as a drawing surface is my trusty Tecra M4, which has very close to the same dimensions as the sheet of standard North American printer paper many artists grew up scribbling on. 8.5" x 11"

So the Surface Book screen is as wide as a sheet of printer paper, and an inch narrower. I'd like to spend an afternoon drawing on that to see what it's like, but I suspect it would be pretty good!

For reference, the iPad Pro screen is 10.375" x 7.75"

-Which is also pretty good.

I think these two screens might represent the (absolute) minimum acceptable drawing space before things start to really feel cramped.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Old foggy here - for what it is worth, I think diagonal measurement goes back to the infancy of television

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Does anyone here utilize the cheapest (laugh) variant without a dGPU solely as their secondary work/school machine and heavily use pen input?

I tried out the SB at BestBuy, and I think it's a beautiful machine, but I'm really hesitant based on my use case. My Portege Z20t does pretty much the same thing in terms of form factor but the battery life of the tablet is double (possibly even more depending on other variables).

Just wanted to hear some experiences.

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

If you don't like solving quadratic equations you could always use Display Wars to calculate the width and height for you.

10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

There are people who don't like doing that?

dstrauss likes this.