Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Telstar1948 if you've still got your box handy, check out the production lot number it came from. It's on a barcode sticker on the bottom of the box.

2. dodgeis4me

dodgeis4me Pen Pal - Newbie

Got mine from bestbuy.com yesturday and its the 1543

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

They say my i7 Surface Book should be ready for pick up in 9 days. If 1543 was the new lot, what is the number to the old one? I preordered my i7/512/16gb machine on day 2 of the pre order and hope that I get a non defective unit :(

4. surfaceproartist

I don't know what my lot number was, but a lot of the posters on the answers.microsoft.com Surface Book Freezing thread seem to think that 1542 was the problematic run.

tazcubed likes this.
  5. soh5

Ok cool. When I pick up my unit in a few days I will look for that number. Def will take a look at the bar code numbers and look for the lot #. If it aint 1543 I aint buying!

6. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

It says 1542

7. soh5

Oh my. Now the test will be to see if Telstars SB has issues like the ones that have been documented throughout this thread.

8. surfaceproartist

The same Microsoft Store employee insisted that they'd all been told an update today? had resolved the freezing problem. Let's hope so! But if you see any freezing or BSODs, my advice is don't try to fix it: take it right back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Keep at it, RIck. There's a technical director at my company who bought hers over the weekend. I haven't asked her to confirm the lot number of her particular unit (i7/16GB/512GB/dGPU) but she hasn't encountered any problems since setting it up (about 4 days now). She doesn't use Edge because our internal websites only work with Firefox and Chrome and claims that aside from our corporate applications (i.e., MS Office, VPN client, VMWare Horizon client, Cisco Jabber client, Eclipse IDE, Anaconda, et.al.,) her SB Pro is pretty much stock config.

10. tazcubed

tazcubed Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting - I had a look at the thread in question. If I return the one I've got in exchange for a new unit, does the 30 days return policy still apply?

Also, on the newer units, how is the trackpad? The 1542 unit has improved with updates, but it's still a hit-or-miss. I'm also having a lot of trouble with it attempting to swap between standard and tablet mode randomly. Thankfully, I get prompted for it to change, but it's still annoying.