Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well seems if you disable bitlocker as I always do with my windows device you get impressive performance on Toshiba 256 drive

Here's a result owner of SP4
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447069427.981073.jpg

That's sounds very good results indeed!!

PS: The same Toshiba drive is using in current workstations notebook from MSI with impressive results also.

Seems notebookcheck has bitlocker off to get these results.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72S-6QE-Dominator-Pro-G-Notebook-Review.151922.0.html

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447070250.254778.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Luft likes this.
  2. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only down side is some company policy's like mine enforces bit locker when you set up your email. And I am sure there are others.

MetalSiren

Bronsky likes this.
  3. alextrela182

Yes indeed but for most of consumer is useless feature.
    Not only you have much better performance is SSD but general Windows running much better.

Also you have more SSD storage available to you by disabling the bitlocker.

But again Toshiba drive is recommended over Samsung.

PS:Can someone run the crystal disk with bitlocker off in Samsung drive to see the differences from Toshiba drive?

Until now we had knowledge only with bitlocker on from either Toshiba or Samsung drive even Notebookcheck,Anandtech,Engadget they run the test in their reviews with bitlocker on.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Luft likes this.
  4. metalsiren

even for personal use, honestly I would leave bit locker on... yes you take a hit but you do get some security benefit from it. but its up to every person to make that choice. (heck I even use bitlocker on my USB drives)

5. alextrela182

Yes it's up to every person need.
    Personal I prefer having much better performance speed not only on SSD but general in Windows being more smoothly behavior than having it on.

But again even that way I prefer Toshiba drive not Samsung.

I think all the reviewer should have mentioned in the reviews that the bitlocker is on because there's a huge differences in performance of any kind SSD.

When I read all that reviews I had in mind that it's off,but make mistakes judging from myself.
    But again the reviewer should have mentioned these from the beginning as it is very critical element when testing performance of any kind of SSD.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Luft likes this.
  6. metalsiren

True and the default is enabled if I am not mistaken... so like you said they should have tests for it enable and disabled...

7. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how much the clipboard battery is supposed to drain compared to the keyboard when connected? I thought the keyboard battery was supposed to be primarily used when connected so the clipboard maintained battery for when it would be disconnected.I can go a majority of the day without using the SB in tablet mode, but my clipboard portion battery still drains substantially. I used the clipboard only for about 5 minutes today and both batteries are showing in the 30-40% range.

Not sure if this is normal or not. If anyone has any input, please let me know. Thanks.

8. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I read (and heard on Windows Weekly) that both batteries drain down fairly equally during use, instead of base first and clipboard - they need to fix that.

Sher The Love likes this.
  10. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks. I didn't really notice it till a couple days ago. I hope they fix that as well. I don't use it a ton as just the clipboard, but it's nice to have full battery when detached.