Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know the difference. But I played with every brush included. The only place where lag was noticeable was in the airbrushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

These brushes in Photoshop are Pure Evil. Not even my Cintiq Companion or a desktop machine can make them work comfortably.
    Untitled-1.jpg

And it's ridiculous, considering they're not even particularly special.

kruzilla likes this.
  3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5 years!? Holy moly I have gadget issues.

4. Dungeoness Claw

Dungeoness Claw Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a lot 1542 SB. NOT toshiba.

Vaga likes this.
  5. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

for some reason, turning off gpu does make brushes lag less. i have tested this thoroughly. its easy. just open a huge document, and a huge brush (i use 2500 pixel brush) and paint in a methodical way with stop watch, timing the result three times and taking the average as "good enough" data. going diagonal, i get seven seconds faster with the exact same brush (custom one i made) with gpu off. the only problem is, with gpu off, you get no canvas rotation (this is gpu accelerated). you can still rotate 90 degrees in the menus, but the rotate tool no longer works. i use this tool to get perfect lines, so i still use GPU. I did find that using the "basic" GPU setting you still get rotation, and its roughly 5 seconds faster than "advanced" GPU settings under my tests. This a good compromise for me.

another tip im sure you know, but other might not know, is to increase the spacing on the brush presets panel. also with mixer brush, deselecting "sample all layers" speeds it up allot. I also found, that increasing the cash tile size to 1028 and decreasing cash levels to 1 helps the brush render a bit faster. (on a thin document, Imnot sure about thick documents with lots of layers). All this testing is done on my CC2. i dont even bother to run photoshop on my SP4. only use it with sketchbook pro.

You are right those natural brushes are pretty worthless. i hate the 300px limit. and they are so slow. the above tweaks do affect ALL brushes though, but the real media brushes are very computationally complex so lag is much more obvious. I can paint nonstop for a few mins with a giant brush, and photoshop CPU usage never goes much above 50%. seems like a waist of compute power to me. sketchbook pro goes all the way to 100% while painting, and corel i have seen as high as 80% upon a quick examination.

I can definitely see with your amazing painterly style how useless the mixer brush is. But I do use it on personal projects where i am trying to develop new styles using wacom "art pen rotation" and sampling textures with multiple colors,with custom brushes, or custom shapes to pull around for building lots of texture very fast. its very fun to play with. And its the only tool i can find to paint with multiple colors at once- which with rotation creates interesting effects. it's also is a very good blending tool. much faster than smudge. i have to admit i really like it. I dont use it with finished work, but for conceptual ideas, i love to play with them. i think there might be something there for me in the future. Its really popular in speedpainting concept art workflows i have seen.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I said useless because it requires too much computational power, otherwise it would be great.
    It works more or less like the brushes in Painter, if I rember correctly it was introduced with the natural media brushes for that exact purpose: playing against Painter in the field it eccelled. But it failed miserably in the comparison due to poor optimization and performance and Adobe left it to die in its corner without developing it further like it should have deserved. ;)

7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i misunderstood. thanks for the clarification. its does feel like painting is poorly integrated in photoshop at times. its the jack of all trades and master of none- program.

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well seems if you disable bitlocker as I always do with my windows device you get impressive performance on Toshiba 256 drive

Here's a result owner of SP4
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447069427.981073.jpg

That's sounds very good results indeed!!

PS: The same Toshiba drive is using in current workstations notebook from MSI with impressive results also.

Seems notebookcheck has bitlocker off to get these results.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT72S-6QE-Dominator-Pro-G-Notebook-Review.151922.0.html

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447070250.254778.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Luft likes this.
  9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only down side is some company policy's like mine enforces bit locker when you set up your email. And I am sure there are others.

MetalSiren

Bronsky likes this.
  10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes indeed but for most of consumer is useless feature.
    Not only you have much better performance is SSD but general Windows running much better.

Also you have more SSD storage available to you by disabling the bitlocker.

But again Toshiba drive is recommended over Samsung.

PS:Can someone run the crystal disk with bitlocker off in Samsung drive to see the differences from Toshiba drive?

Until now we had knowledge only with bitlocker on from either Toshiba or Samsung drive even Notebookcheck,Anandtech,Engadget they run the test in their reviews with bitlocker on.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Luft likes this.