Surface Book Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 6, 2015.

1. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

haha! Those pg up/pg down buttons were the bane of my life on my TPY! writing code with them so near the left/right/up/down caused -SO MANY- mistakes for me! I went so far as to use auto-hotkey to disable them!

Not knocking your preference for them, just saying I'm glad I'm very glad I've switched from the TPY 12 to the SB for a whole list of reasons!

As for the connected standby drain, I've run powercfg /sleepstudy, but all it tells me is that the CPU, WIFI card, and the integrated GPU are all running full-out during sleep, not what applications or processes are causing them to do so (at least as far as I can understand the sleepstudy report).

tazcubed likes this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Come one peeps....modern ultra-thin computers/tablets are not designed as FSU devices they are FRU devices. iFixIt is pushing a by-gone era mainly to hawk their wears...

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Tell that to the ThinkPad Yoga. If those fail you can easily pull out the drive before sending the system in for repair. Surface models, not so much.

czm2000 and soh5 like this.
  4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You're right, but that should be viewed as an engineering challenge to still make some components swappable. Exchanging a 2.5" SSD through a sliding tray sends like a challenge an engineer would love to take on.

Balbutio ergo sum

tabletartist4d and stormi like this.
  5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

...and yet the Vaio Z Canvas exposes the entire motherboard with the removal of a single screw and hatch, and there's not a drop of glue to pry.

stormi, Steve S, Marty and 3 others like this.
  6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Sony machine is pretty much like the old Samsung 7 slate... VERY thick in comparison to the SP3/4.

REALLY nice machine! Quad core, 16GB ram, three fans... want it!

Give me THREE fans or GO HOME!
    [​IMG]

Vaga likes this.
  7. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Vaio didn't set out to build a svelte device - they fully intended the Z Canvas to be a workhorse. If you have the chance to compare the Surface Book and Z Canvas, the difference in design philosophies between the two devices would become quite obvious. Microsoft (like Apple and other well-established "premium device" OEMs) has regular update cycles so it would make sense that they would want their users to upgrade to the latest iteration (of the product). On the other hand, boutique OEMs like Vaio probably have a longer (or maybe irregular) update cycles so it would make sense that they would make it serviceable.

Then there is the "reliability vs. serviceability" discussion - if a device has been designed to last for a long time, do you put design and engineering effort to be serviceable or be more reliable and just replace the whole unit at the end of its life cycle or when it breaks? And there's the economics if it all - i.e., technician's salary/compensation, parts procurement, stocking, and storage, et.al.

Personally, I don't mind the hermetically-sealed approach. But that's just me.

8. jnjroach

Yes, but is much heavier device built much more akin to the Windows 7 Slate (or early 2 and 1 ) designs...the full kit is 3lbs with the majority of the weight in the tablet section.

It does not stack up against the industrial design of the Surface Devices, nor is it intended to do that. If that is what you want in a device then the Vaio is a great choice for you....

Mesosphere likes this.
  9. jnjroach

Engineers and Designers are the drivers on the Surface Team. The finished devices came in exactly as the designers envisioned them 18 months ago...

10. jnjroach

Still a completely different class of device, Lenovo uses many components on their chassis not a single piece of milled magnesium.

Mesosphere likes this.