Surface Book 3 hopes and dreams

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Jun 12, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ding dong, you're wrong - that didn't take more than 10-15 minutes tops...cathartic...

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm quite surprised that even you're perplexed. :confused:

I thought the only market for a $2K 7th-gen (dual-core/integrated graphics) machine would be corporate customers who don't need extensive multi-tasking or gaming capabilities, but who are tied to MS/Surface enterprise support services.

Am I wrong? Most consumers generally won't touch above the $1K price points, and enthusiast/power users certainly won't settle for 2-3 generation old CPU for $2K.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually this would be perfect the education sector. Not the actual consumer, but the college itself. I’m not far from Seton Hall, and I regularly see their branded sticker on the occasional Surface or Thinkpad at local coffee shops. For some students they loan out devices during their term of study. From the mindset of a educator....a 15 inch Surface without the graphics card could be preferable given it would help ensure the Students has less incentive to game on it, and instead use it for more educational purposes.

4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I would find it very difficult to justify the cost of that SB15, sans GPU and with an outdated CPU. Unless that Uni has cash they need to throw away in order to ensure they get at least the same amount for the budget next year? (Happens all the time in government.) Or the student absolutely has to have a detachable slate with 3-ish-hour battery?

A premium alternative with decent GPU and recent CPU for $500 less seems an infinitely more suitable choice for institutions that try not to be wasteful with money, however. https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-laptop-15t-touch-4hg39av-1

Something similar without the gaming-tempting GPU would be even less. Get two of them instead of one SB15-lite, probably.

JoeS and Marty like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If it was any other vendor I'd agree with you. The theory about maybe education or a specific government sector is possible though from what I know, the overwhelming number of surface devices sold to government are Surface Pros or Gos

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nice to know our tax dollars are being well-spent as usual. :D

Interesting, so businesses will buy overpriced/outdated hardware from say Lenovo or HP, but for MS they only want the latest gen stuff (or cheaper SGos)?

Why the discrimination? :p

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Speculation on my part but three factors.
    One: MS relative newness to the market compared to HP. DELL or LENOVO, e.g. not a proven track record

Two: They aren't really seen as an enterprise player in hardware. They don't have servers or desktops or network switches. And it goes to a deeper level such as lack of VPRO devices or options for ECC memory for instance.

Three: The go and pro represent a specific niche. If you look there really isn't anything directly comparable. HP and Lenovo have taken half hearted stabs at it with for example the HP X2 series or a couple of Yogas, but none of them have had a sustained product line in that form factor.

Marty and Azzart like this.
  8. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

What if come SB3 time it is just:

"We have put in a newer GPU and processor that is 'good enough for VR' "

Look, someone is going to see this as a big jump forward I'm sure. And it will be, to some degree.

Evidently SB2 doesn't work well for plenty of devices "Oculus Rift doesn't work, as the Geforce 1060 graphics card does not have a dedicated HDMI out, and instead relies on a USB-C to HDMI dongle"
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/7f32ya/can_you_use_vr_on_the_surface_book_2_rift_vive_etc/

dstrauss likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Surface is a premium Brand, and the branding is all that matters....the Specs are almost irrelevant. A last gen CPU or integrated graphics is of little to no concern to a English or Philosophy Major....all they care is that they got a Surface and it has a working keyboard. An animation or video production major might have stricter requirements, but for most College Majors, bare bones suffices. And even though the retail price is $2000....if the College is going to order in Bulk from Microsoft, very likely Microsoft would cut them a deal. Given how plentiful Macbooks are on College Campus's, I'd imagine Microsoft would certainly make every effort to get Surface's in every college hand they could.

10. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Indeed. :rolleyes: