Surface Book 3 hopes and dreams

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Did we really never make a Surface Book 3 wishlist thread? Shame on us! :vbtongue:

With the announcement of the new version likely only a few months away (October 2019?), I'm curious what people are hoping to see. Personally I'd like the following, in order of preference:

- TB3 on the slate, with eGPU support
    - a kickstand on the tablet portion
    - additional range on the hinge for full yoga mode
    - a pound lighter overall
    - more battery life for the slate portion
    - a black model

Anything else I'm forgetting?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

To add to @JoeS ' list:
    • Unlocked LTE with future support for 5G
    • Real pen holder (put the clip back on the pen and a slot for the clip to go into - NO RELYING ON MAGNETS)
    • TB3, USB-A, and SDXC card slot in the base
    • Bigger trackpad
    • Smart frame! (14" + bezel-less with option to shrink to 13"+ with bigger bezels as tablet)

Tablet Nostradamus and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

Agreed with most. Personally I'd like the card reader on the slate rather than the base though. Smart frame only if it's OLED. I don't want a slightly glowing bezel, which is what you'd get with LCD.

With an OLED screen a smart bezel would be mind-blowingly awesome though. About zero bezel when docked, and a pitch black 1/2" bezel when detached. Heaven!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Marty and dstrauss like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since we're going to heaven in the 3rd post already :vbrolleyes:, I'll add...

The "clipboard" portion must be a match to the iPad Pro in all hardware respects:

That's sleekness/portability, battery life, and digitizer performance. Tall order I know, but it's essential to counter Apple's momentum going forward in 2019.

For battery life, the clipboard could run WOA while undocked (integrated 8cx chip), which converts to full horsepower x86 Windows while docked. Best of both worlds! :vbbiggrin:

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

Hey, I did name the thread "hopes and dreams" :)

I'm not sure if it's technically feasible at all, but yes, having the clipboard run ARM when disconnected would be another interesting option. I'd be losing by dream of having TB3 on the clipboard, but if they can give it 6h battery life that way, I'm on board. Bonus points for sticking an e-ink display on the back! :cool:

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well then, I have some more good news for you my friend:

(AnandTech)
    "When I questioned Qualcomm if something like Thunderbolt 3 was possible, they said that they don’t see why it wouldn’t be if an OEM wanted to make that configuration."

Keep the dream alive, buddy! ;)

JoeS likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I'd rather see....No Book 3 at all.....instead a "Book" add on for the Pro 7.

Both the Book 2 and Pro 6 use basically the same 15w ULV cores....even if the model specially is different...CPU power wise the Book 2 is more or less equal to the Pro 6.

And the current Pro 6 is only a hair thicker then the current Book 2 Clipboard....even keeping the Kickstand....if they did fully jump the Pro 7 to USB-C...they should be able to make the Pro 7 just as thin as the clipboard. So once you factor in the similar power and device dimensions.....its kind of almost redundant to even have the Book line at all. And usually the biggest complaint about the Book line....aside from the hinge....is that it doesn't have a kickstand.

It would just make so much sense to offer a New Surface Pro 7......in two sizes; 12/13 inch size, and 15/16 inches (depending on how much they can shrink the bezels).....and have both a slim keyboard cover.....and a "Book" case that turns the Pro 7 into a Book 3 with more battery life, ports, and discrete graphics. This would also fill the needs of Pro owners who need more graphical power can just buy the Book case.

But....should Microsoft remain steadfast in retaining the Pro and Books lines separate.....they need to widen the power gap between them to make them both more compelling purchases. Like they could swap the Pro 7....to 4-6w Core M (i5/i7 rebanding of M5 & M7, what the current Macbook Air has) which would help with both prolonging the battery life and keeping the Surface Pro more equivalent to iPad Pro levels of thinness. And then they could keep the Book 3 at the 15w level. Or they could keep the Pro at 15w.....but up the Book CPU to 28w (Macbook Pro). They already market the Book 2 as the more "Performance" option against the Pro line, but thats only in graphics.....it really needs an edge in CPU power as well.

Tablet Nostradamus, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  8. JoeS

Yeah that would be great. Basically "choose your own (keyboard) adventure". Would it be too greedy to also want the hinge updated to add yoga capabilities? :)

The challenge I still see with this convergence is keeping everything slick looking and smoothly operating. Can't have the straight lower edge of the Book2 if it is to be used as a true tablet for longer times. Don't want the stand to be able to open (or even show!) when it's in a Book keyboard. I struggle to see a solution that is elegant enough that they'd go for it. My guess is they'll keep the lines separate.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I’m with @darkmagistric - merge the two lines - choose your poison (or both). I don’t care if they can see the stand when in Surface Book mode - just give us max flexibility

Tablet Nostradamus likes this.
  10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

+3 for the merge.

I absolutely love my SP6 (i5) but constantly look at the SB2 as a thing of lust. A 1060/2060 keyboard, for a SP7, would be an instant purchase. No doubt at all. Gaming at home, type cover for travel.

JoeS and dstrauss like this.