Surface Book 3 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Ditto!

By the way, this was found only days after your post (on March 31st, 2021, by Jason Ward of Windows Central) in an obscure Microsoft ad on Facebook, the ad itself which was dated on March 10th, 2021. Do you have some sort of insider information or something? ;) Given the timing, maybe Microsoft is planning a refresh only a year after the Book 3's release with Ryzen? The black model Laptops usually are associated with Ryzen so maybe you are tuned into Panos' wavelength who, in following with this pattern, may be planning a black model Ryzen-powered Surface Book 3+/4 (speculation).

[​IMG]

Source:
    Watch (0:14-0:18, facebook.com)

Via:
    Jason L Ward on Twitter: "Anybody interested in a matte black @Microsoft Surface Book? @panos_panay @surface @satyanadella #SurfaceBook https://t.co/UaR6rf9ccZ" / Twitter

I know I would seriously be considering it, though the tablet portion's battery life would be my number one concern. I generally like to keep my mobile devices down to a single smartphone and a single laptop or tablet. I already have a Surface Pro 7+ so the only way I could even justify a Surface Book is (1) shedding myself of the Pro 7+ in @dstraussian-fashion and (2) getting semi-usable battery life in tablet mode on the order of four hours, hard minimum. Thing is, the best battery life I have seen for the Book 3's tablet mode is more on the order of two and maybe three hours if you're lucky so that makes this very, very tricky to justify.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Steve S likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Maybe....
    The Surface Books have, to sort of collate what MS reps have told us so far, has never been about the absolute best performance, but providing a significant step up in features and capabilities from the standard Surface Pro.

So you can interpret that a lot of ways, but history has shown that generally to be true as they have not used, to date anyway, Intels top end parts (no I9 for example)

I'd be happy if they changed direction and for instance went all in with a Ryzen 9 as a top end device, but I just don't see it happening.

If anything I think it more likely they double down on the so far tepid embrace of ARM and produce their own true custom ARM design and not the warmed over snapdragon that is the SQ1 and SQ2

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Could they even put an i9 in a Surface Book? Cause aren't i9's in the 45w CPU range?

I thought the Book's form factor itself is what limited the Book line to 15w CPUs, since the clipboard has to be thin enough to be detachable, not off balance the book in book mode. How could putting an i9 even work without demolishing the Clipboards already poor battery life or making it a thermal nightmare?

4. desertlap

That was my point and why I'm skeptical of any Ryzen chip either.

OTOH, in the design of the original Surface Books there was a prototype that had a lower powered CPU in the clipboard and a higher powered one in the keyboard dock. What they ultimately ended up doing is putting the dedicated GPU in the keyboard dock as sort of an in between compromise.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Wow... Dynamically handing off total control of the system's CPU sounds like some high-level technical wizardry. Doing the GPU is a bit easier but CPU would be quite the hurdle. I'd love to have been the fly on the wall with that prototype.

Marty likes this.
  6. desertlap

I think that's why it never made it past prototype. Apparently there wasn't a reliable method to switch short of power down, disconnect (or connect) then power back up.

The graphics card hand off was possible though speaking as a Surface Book 2 user myself, it's not 100% reliable. Though to be fair when it does fail it's usually just an app crash not an entire system lockup.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a vaio z back in the day, and those types of hinges are nice, way better that a yoga hinge IMHO since the base stays put on the surface and you just pull the screen down. However, the removable screen is still superior to both in my use. Taking a light weight 15" screen off and putting it on a music stand is an amazing thing to be able to do. I would not want the full weight of the base on the stand. I also enjoy popping it off the base to sit in my lap while I'm in my recliner. Granted 15" is a bit ridiculous in that scenario, but in a good way.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

IMO, the next release of Microsoft products is going to be revealing. As many have pointed out, the various Surface lines have become stale and the innovation that Microsoft originally promised has diminished to incremental and repetitive CPU and component updates.

If the next round of introductions is more of the same, I think we can assume that Panos, in his overarching management position, and his design team have exhausted their ability to move Surface products forward in any dramatic way (which will be a shame). More and more, these days, I find myself looking at other brands, like HP, for innovative and interesting products...

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, some products I think have had some solid upgrades (Pro 7+ ssd hatch, Go 2 with smaller bezels, Laptop 4 as great allrounder), and the rest seems to lack behind. I think its safe to say that Pro 8 will be a good improvement, that leaves: SB, Pro X, Studio. Come to think about it, of these 3 only the SB really needs smaller bezels the rest needs up to date performance.