Surface Book 3 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Extensive review by AnandTech here.

cbutters likes this.
  2. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty slow in here.... I was disappointed that the Surface Book 3 couldn't undervolt, the graphics are tuned to the bare minimum wattage; (the 13.5" has the same CPU and GPU as the C940 Yoga, but the yoga outperforms it significantly, The 15" SB3 is powerful; but the memory and core clocks get nerfed automatically via firmware) so I was tempted by the idea of a dual device Zephyrus G14 and Surface Go 2 setup. While the G14 is a powerhouse and the Go 2 is perfect for taking notes; after about a week of hating my life trying to manage 2 devices; I had to come back to the SB3 13.5". It is the only device that scratches enough of my itches.

Maybe the SB3 can't be undervolted; maybe it really should have had a AMD 4000 series processor instead; maybe the GTX 1650 should allow more than 35 watts like the C940 yoga does, maybe it is overpriced and virtual bezels would have been nice; but I seriously can't live with anything else.

My second 13.5" has almost no light bleed; and the GPU seems to be binned a bit better as I can undervolt it more for more performance inside that 35 watt envelope. I'm almost entirely pleased with it. I am seeing the touch go out in the top right corner occasionally; but it is always fixed with a reboot.... So I'm not sure if it is just a firmware issue... Its only happened a few times; but I'm keeping an eye on it. Other than that... no blue screens; working great.

If anyone wants a brand new G14 w/ a 2TB ssd upgrade; pm me.

dstrauss and Marty like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Still trying ye olde one device solution, nice! :thumbsup: I did that for a while with the Surface Pro 2. Now I'm back in the 'tons of devices scattered all around' camp. In active rotation: X1Y3, X1T3, Galaxy Book 2, iPad Pro 10.5, Sony DPT-RP1 e-ink, Kindle Paperwhite, .. Just when I though I was out, they pull me back in. :vbcool:

Steve S and darkmagistric like this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think a lot of us would fall into that camp, I know I sure as heck do. One idea I've been kicking around for the eventual post pandemic world...is taking a longer duration trip somewhere, like of the 6+ month type caliber. God, the thought of trying to imagine how many devices to bring on such a trip. I can totally see myself one day at the airport security screening area when they ask you to remove you're laptop from your bag, and I'll be the one taking out like 6 different devices. Like oh this is my work laptop, this is my extra monitor, this is my general purpose laptop, this is my art laptop, this is my note taking laptop...etc....lol

alaskajoel, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Trips away:
    -Surface pro 7 (i7)
    -Huawei Mate 20 x
    -Go Pro 7 black
    -1x charger for all of the above.

That's it. Not sure if I'd need anything else.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A Maverick Pro II?

excalibur1814 likes this.
  7. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

So I guess I'll give an update;
    First... I'm now on a Surface Book 3 15" instead of the 13.5"; (Don't ask, but I think I'm finally happy.)
    Some notes on my Surface Book 3 experiences:

• I forced windows 2004 clean install on my current Surface Book 3 15", and the Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduler makes a noticeable difference (On the 13.5" it actually increased performance up to 10%)
    • I have had no issues with 2004, no bluescreens or otherwise
    • The 15" version seems to have freesync! (VRR toggle is available in windows) I haven't seen anyone talking about this and I don't think the 13.5" had it. (can anyone verify?). (I haven't tested it yet either.)
    • My current 15" version has a really great panel... like I'm in love with it; the colors are really nice and no backlight bleed
    • The new NVIDIA GPU driver is a must; and it fixes issues with running mixed reality VR headsets.
    • The USB-C port can pull 20V 5A for 100 watts over the USB-C (verfied myself)
    • I'm convinced that the 15" version has less heatsink mass than the 13.5"; which makes sense they gave up some heatsink mass for the fan. HOWEVER this means that the 15" seems to run hotter when idling; it also cannot burst as high as my 13.5" could when kept cool. I saw upwards of 45 watts on the 13.5" when it was cold; the 15" never sees much of anything past 30 watts. (Of course the 15" can maintain performance around 20-22 watts all by itself with its internal fan. (An extra fan pointed at the back can help it be closer to 30 watts continuous.
    • I've realized that rather than even try to use the 15" clipboard in portrait mode; (it is too tall for my lap when like that.) I'm using it in landscape mode and putting 2 apps in side by side portrait mode... that actually works rather well; I get more info on the screen; but each individual application doesn't stress me out because it is physically smaller and i don't have to move my elbow just to navigate the application.(hope that makes sense)

Marty, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Go2
    Galaxy Note 10

[​IMG] :newpalm:

JoeS likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just the simple country lawyer...in urban NEW JERSEY...

Bronsky likes this.