Surface Book 3 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

IMG_8977.jpg

I'm using a MOFT Laptop Stand. The "Universal" version. I really like it and it is about as thin as a quarter when I put it away in my bag. It has two heights it can use. For drawing, I like the tall height, and use it exactly like you were describing-- between the back of my screen and (for me) the bottom of the stand. I also use it when typing, in the short mode version. It's nice and is much more ergonomic-- lifts the screen and keyboard too. For me, well worth 30$. I've often thought of using something like this when drawing. I quite like it.

It has a rubberized texture which rests on the back of the screen and also on the bottom flap. It keeps it from sliding. Super duper thin and lightweight when folded back into its flat position.

Vobox and Marty like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Looks like somebody does some serious cooking in that kitchen.

3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

For the record, I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but the SB3 does not have the pen pressure staircasing issue. When I saw Lisa Gade's review, I got the impression it may simply be using the last generation's MPP, and has come away better as a result than its updated relatives. I haven't heard yet if it has the tilt detection problem of the Go 2.

MPP is such a mess right now. I have this insane, unfounded theory that maybe it's happening because some of this stuff was designed for Win10X (lol), and maybe once that OS rolls out with all the legacy stuff containerized away, the pen performance is going to magically get better.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...maybe once that OS rolls out with all the legacy stuff containerized away, the pen performance is going to magically get better...>>

I wonder what happened to the mysterious pen improvements that were hidden away in the ProX and that were supposed to have been implemented with a new pen...!

dstrauss likes this.
  5. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

In regards to height adjustment, I also found these:

Ringke Folding Stand 2
    Nillkin

I'm looking at the Ringke as it seems you have more options to position the stand a lot more easily by sliding it across the base, which would be ore difficult if it is actually stuck on to the back.I also use my laptop for art (and also 3D animation) and will now have to invest in a 2 in 1. My main concern has also been elevation.

With the Nillkin - it looks good for laptops that are 17inch, as you can adjust the width to how you want due to it's single width form.
    Although It is also adhesive, being able to control the width would make sure that there would be less wobble/tilt around the edges?
    You would also have to accept that the front of your laptop would now have these strips stuck on.

They aren't overly expensive so I may just buy both when I purchase my 2 in 1.

Marty likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Maybe you can’t make steak out of chopped liver

7. Vobox

Vobox Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh wow, that seems pretty promising! I'll be sure to look into that. Much appreciated!

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The Nilkin and the Ringke both look neat. They look like they're designed for elevating the base of your laptop when typing. Probably work good for that!

One of the things I like about the MOFT is that it has a larger support piece that seems to go down the full length of the back of the screen. It's not actually designed or marketed for tablet users or convertible laptops, but it almost seems deliberately made for it.

[​IMG]

9. Worzyl

Worzyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Does it wobble around the edges when drawing?

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is an interesting video that was part of the MS Build Virtual Event that talks about using the Surface Book 3 as a Developer Workstation -

Also, he does a complete tear down into the components - interestedly enough we get info that the Screen on the device can last up to 5 hours on it's own.

Disclaimer - I also know Frank and his team professionally.

cmergel likes this.