Surface Book 3 Discussion Thread (May 2020)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 6, 2020.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I was thinking that one was close, but the keyboard doesn't extend the mobo components in any way (correct me if I'm wrong), other than adding more battery.

That's the shame, because the SB offers so much possibility in the laptop/2-in-1 design space.

Imagine an SPX as the screen portion, that could become full-fledged x86 workhorse simply by docking to the keyboard base. That's something I could see shifting the conversation about WOA/10X as a value-add, rather than the awkward replacement it's being portrayed as.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It will never happen. Qualcomm licensing terms prohibit and MS might require two separate windows licenses even if the changed their mind.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Is there some equivalent to Murphy's law?

Think of something fun...

There will be a lawyer to shoot it down.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Bronsky and lovelaptops like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

JoeS likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Seems like the comment section to that very article disagrees. :D

Bronsky likes this.
  7. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Bravo for that comment section... Good to see people pushing back against garbage click-bait articles with no depth and incorrect information.
    I especially liked this comment:
    If only microsoft would have tweaked the screen size / reducing bezels / keeping size the same (like surface go); reconfigured for a AMD 4000 series 8 core 15 watt processor and add TB3; and it would have been a homerun. Despite saying all that I'm happy with the spec bump and can't wait for mine to get here.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  8. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

I placed my pre-order...

It is the only machine that fulfills my needs. Like the above post, I want gaming, I want VR, I want CAD, I want scientific computing, I want a slate form-factor tablet PC (with camera for lab work! ), I want long battery life, I want pen and touch for drawing, I want a good keyboard and trackpad, I want 2TB, I want (micro-)SD and I want a 3:2 aspect-ratio.

I've been tracking the benchmarks of CPU, GPU and battery life for the last decade or so of many devices, including my own personal machines, and this SB3 beats my desktop gaming PC (that was sufficient for my needs) from a few years ago. I am now down to my ideal two device setup.

Since I travel quite a bit (moving to other countries even), I really need to minimize the number of material objects yet I want to maximize the capabilities.

The only thing that would make it better would be inbuilt LTE/5G, and yes, a smaller lighter form-factor (reduce the bezels, trim off edges of the base, etc.). My thinking is that a Galaxy Note (Fold?) will cover my small pocketable pen device more and more. But for today, there is no other device that will eliminate my anxieties quite like this one!

Can't wait.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    lovelaptops likes this.
  9. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

Do we know if the 15" SB3 will have a fan in the clipboard like the 15" SB2 did?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  10. burningorange

burningorange Pen Pal - Newbie

JoeS likes this.