Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Try uBlock Origin; less processor intensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstrauss and Marty like this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Pardon for not being clear, time to go quad core i5/i7 in the SB3?

3. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

who woulda thunk ad blocker was such a hog, good to know. Still, a machine with the SB2 specs should still blow through that without a sweat

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nope - I'm tired of chasing away my pain with ever more powerful computers that do little more than incrementally improve the situation. Time to make a stand (or learn to have patience like @Bronsky).

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...there's no such thing as a wintab driver for Surface Book 2...>>

...Doesn't the Surface WinTab driver work?

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Yes, but no tilt support with wintab.

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ran into my first real SB 2 problem today. Trying to run Sketchup pro (a work requirement for my personal business) and it is astoundingly slow. Research indicates a host of possible issues involving drivers, MS updates, Nvidia, etc etc. It’s a real issue that looks like a mess. Crazy to me that it’s so buggy still on this issue. It runs far slower than on a laptop 3-4 years old. Probably big enough to make me return it and stick with my 3 year old Thinkpad 460 BB.

It is a lovely device in many ways though. Only real disappointment so far has been the speakers- sound is balanced all in all for a laptop, but relatively quiet. Strange to me to not get it 4 speakers, given all the empty space in the base and in the bezels. If Apple can it with the iPad Pro, MS can do it with their top of the line model. We don’t own a TV, and thus laptops are the only way at we watch and share media. It’s actuallu relatively important.

Typing isn’t bad, but I must admit I much prefer the tactile feedback on Thinkpads (not other Lenovo devices, which are fine but not amazing- just Thinkpads) . There’s a clear difference to me, that makes typing actually strangely pleasurable on a Thinkpad. A kind of pressure point bounce in the key stroke that I like.

The pen is pretty nice though. Makes me want to get a newer device if for nothing more than that. The pen input for Gen 1 AES in the 460 is adequate at best. I’m sure it’s improved, just like it has for Ntrig.

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, that was quick transition from "hmmm" to buy! @Steve B ;) Clearly, I have a lot to learn about how making quick purchase decisions.

The only other tablet PCs with quadraphonic speakers that I know of are the Transformer Pro 3 and Eve V. I really wonder if this will catch on though, as PC manufacturers seem to neglect sound pretty badly on tablets.

Haha, is there any keyboard that feels as good as the ThinkPads? Comparing to that, I think you'll never get to switch from Lenovo. :p

I must say you have pretty (overly?) refined tastes in hardware. I thought I was the only one who cared about symmetrical sound in portrait/landscape, and actually thought all the newer chiclet keyboards (that everyone praises these days) are nothing compared to the old Thinkpad laptops...take it from a coder, nothing is comparable. :)

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That is why I plug my Surface 3 into a Thinkstation keyboard while at work.

Marty and dstrauss like this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, it was always a test run to me. ;) I wasn’t really convinced the machine was going to have 1300$ of value for me. But the allure of the detachable screen, plus screen size, plus improved pen tech was worth the hassle to me. But there were always issues I knew potentially existed- sound, typing experience, lack of a track point, and how it was going to work with various required work programs.

Sometimes it’s like research for a future purchase. :) I did the same thing with the new iPad and the Pencil a few months ago. The only way to really test it is to buy it and run your life on it for a few weeks.

Having said that, I have been very pleasantly surprised by certain things on the SB 2. I knew I’d like the big screen, but it’s ratio is LOVELY, and it’s also very nice to use in my lap as a tablet. Much nicer than a Yoga laptop rotated into tablet format. The magnetized pen on the side works much better than I thought it would, and even has stayed on in my bag. The trackpad is great too. Wonderfully responsive and accurate. There are also a number of win 10 OS elements that I must have turned off, and have therefore never tried- notification of phone calls and such. They work very well on the device. I even find myself pleasantly amused every time I'm signed in with the special camera.

So it’s not been a lost experience so far. I new it was fancy and that the build quality was superb, but I’ve actually liked it more than I thought I would. I’m sure my wife is tired of hearing about it. Lol. Who knows? I may end up keeping it. It's still up for debate. I have to figure out how to iron out the wrinkles if its going to be worth 1300$.

Alternately, if I like it enough, I might return it and save my pennys and get the 15". ha!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018