Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

:mad::mad::mad:

2. c-le-prof

c-le-prof Pen Pal - Newbie

Well my issue is resolved. I posted about the computer not turning on correctly and not regularly recognizing the graphics card. So I thought that holding down power and volume down for about 12 seconds until the screen went blank, I thought that was fully restarting the computer, so I was only trying that and it didn't fix it. On someone's suggestion in this thread for another issue, I tried holding it down longer and I got into some kind of boot menu and then I did a restart. This alone seemed to set things back to normal.

Computer's working great again!

YVerloc, JoeS, Telstar1948 and 3 others like this.
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Today I finally got the replacement unit from Microsoft.
    I immediately noticed the hinge mechanism doesn't work as perfectly as my previous unit and it wobbles more and give out a strange sound I tried to show in this video:

I was full angry and ready to send a flaming email to Microsoft telling them they can take it back again and send me another one when I noticed I was sent the 512gb model instead of the 256 which costs €500 more and suddenly the hinge wasn't a problem anymore. :rolleyes:

P.s.
    I also noticed the clipboard fan doesn't seem to produce the screaming sound It had on the other one.

nnthemperor, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  4. Azzart

Oops I forgot to ask the important question!

Previous to send the other 256gb unit back I made a image backup of the whole system using the tool inside windows (image backup from Windows 7).
    Is there a way to restore that backup on this new 512gb unit?
    There's just too much days spent installing and configuring things up, I already feel depressed thinking of spending the next days installing and tweaking everything again.
    More so considering I have one of the girls at the hospital these days and zero time to spare.:confused:

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It might be possible to do this. I think the image will restore to the larger SSD just fine. I think after restoring you can hit Winkey-X, select Disk Management, select the 256GB volume, and choose 'extend volume' to fill up the remaining space. No guarantees, but that's what I would try. Apart from googling the heck out of this question of course.

6. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Lesson to be learned: its better for us to buy SB / SB2 with lower spec so if we get a lemon we can expect MS to replace it with one that have higher spec.

If u had bought the 1TB version, u wont get higher spec replacement... :)

7. Azzart

You're not much reassuring. :D
    First I should find a way to restore, since the windows utility says it can't find any valid backup for this unit...

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I hope you figure it out.. Meanwhile I'm happy I put that little disclaimer in there! :)

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Tried out the SB 2 at the MS store last weekend. Gorgeous device and a marvelous screen. I was very pleasantly surprised by how nice the pen experience was. It has greatly improved since the SP 3, which is when I last tried it. I personally liked the newer, lower IAF and latency quite a lot. I also liked the tilt implementation, which seemed very natural in the Sketchpad app. I _really_ liked sketching on it while in store. I appreciated that we now get an eraser on the back as well, which I’ve always preferred to use, instead of switching tools. I didn’t have anything to complain about re: the pen! A change of pace for Ntrig for me.

What’s the feeling folks have about the pen experience in real usage?

Also, I get the vibe here that everyone here is dealing with issues? True? The SB 2 15” is honestly waaaaaayyyyy more machine than I need, but the clarion call of that giant gorgeous screen, and a pen combo, plus a real clamshell base with a nice keyboard is hard to disregard.

Wish sound was better, as I use my laptops for all multimedia. We don’t even own a Tv. It seemed a bit quiet?

10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And here I thought you had retired from high-end detachables, perfectly satisfied with your TPT10 for your portable tablet needs. I guess the lure always stays with ya... ;)

Ugh, every time I convince my myself not to buy this thing, you guys always pull me back! First @Azzart and now you...These forums, they are a public danger!

nnthemperor, Azzart and JoeS like this.