Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My apologies old pal - somehow I missed this post - what a cruel fate...

Is this a repair return or is this a farewell...

Azzart likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's a replacement.
    But since my credit card wasn't collaborative, I can't access the advanced replacement where they send me a new unit before I send back mine, so I'll have to wait the standard 7/10/14/whoknows days before I receive a new unit.
    Obviously no offer of any sort from Microsoft for the inconvenient.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

MS will just tell you that you should feel privileged to even have a SB2 - their attitude is Applesque to the max!

4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Ditto. Mine's gone back to IT. Something is seriously wrong with that machine.

The fact that we can't tell what's wrong is a testament to Microsoft's terrible software quality. Ideally, the behaviours of a functioning machine shouldn't overlap with the behaviours of a malfunctioning machine, i.e. you shouldn't be able to use the machine in such a way that it acts as if its broken. Or conversely, if the machine behaves as if it is broken, you shouldn't have to wonder if perhaps you've just got to tweak a few settings, because 'brokenness' shouldn't ever be accessible via the settings!

A consequence of not adhering to this principle is that IT and I (mostly me) get to spend a whole month ruling out all the possible ways that settings, drivers, and other configurations can be to blame for the terrible performance and crashing and battery draining before we become convinced that the machine is faulty. I'd dearly love to bill Microsoft for this lost time. Maybe we can aggregate our lost time together and do a class action suit?

5. Azzart

I always thought there was something wrong with your machine. :D
    Though I'm not sure: did Photoshop ever performed as it should? I only tested it briefly but the only problem I was able to find on mine was the usual terrible control of pen pressure.
    Nothing new with Photoshop.

6. YVerloc

No photoshop never performed as it should. Each session would start out with reasonable but not great performance but over the course of the next half hour to hour performance would degrade until photoshop would crash. Colour picking would start to take a half second, then a full second, then colour picking would fail half the time. Modifier keys (like shift) would take a second to take effect and would stay activated even after the key was no longer pressed. Every third brush stroke would forget about pressure settings and get laid down fully opaque. Then brush strokes wouldn't appear at all. Then crash!

It's been a swell month for painting, I tell ya.

Azzart likes this.
  7. Azzart

Ouch!
    Thanks, I'll give it a more extensive try when I get my hands on the new machine then. (It'll take some time though remembering how to use it -.-)

YVerloc likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I just want to say to you, @Azzart and you, @YVerloc that you have my profound compassion and that I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with these kinds of problems on a $3,000 new computer. I have such a "baby" version of your machines (SB1, 8GB/256GB/nvidia 940) and it seems to work fine for my purposes- just office productivity and the web. But honestly as I read about your issues I realize they can happen to my machine as well and, even for $845, it makes me want to send it back and buy a convertible for around $1,000 used or refurb - one that can be repaired - and just not deal w/MS BS!

In any case, just know that we are pulling for you and would be glad to join a class action suit with you!

YVerloc, Azzart and dellaster like this.
  9. Azzart

Uh thanks, sincerely, but I'm fine all in all: after the frustrating experience with the Cintiq 27 touch last year and the Cintiq Companion before that, almost nothing can make me lose my composure. :D

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. YVerloc

Thanks Lovelaptops.
    I soooo wish it was only a 3000 dollar new computer, but if I factor in the cost of lost productivity that figure is more like 15k.

nnthemperor likes this.