Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

If Mary Jo Foley can spend $1800 on a laptop to run email, Chrome, and Notepad, I don't think anyone can needle you for using a $810 SB for comic reading. ;)

And think of all the casual web browsing folks who spend $2500-$3500 for a top-of-the-line MacBook Pro because they want to fit in at Starbucks. :rolleyes:

Hey, it's their money.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Mary Jo Foley?
    PS: I don't read comics on my computer, nor do I edit videos. ;)

3. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Foley is the co-guest of the Windows Weekly podcast and ZDNET writer on all things Microsoft. www.allaboutmicrosoft.com

It's sort of a running joke that all she uses for her professional writing is Notepad, yet she buys the most expensive and advanced laptops just for that.

YVerloc likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

No, I was reacting to the post by @kneehowguys , below, Not offended in the slightest, but just wasn't sure if the comment there, which immediately followed mine, was about me. Now that I reread it, it does refer to notepad!

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's more than a running joke, it is true - she only uses Notepad for her writing - she could get by with a Windows XP 486.

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  6. blarbles

blarbles Pen Pal - Newbie

Video proof or you are just a Microsoft shill! ;)

7. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

And how fast do the cards bounce after you win? That's the real performance benchmark.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

A question for the 15" owners like me out of mere curiosity: is your clipboard portion completely plane and straight?
    Mine I can see the screen being curved just by observing the reflections when the display is off. I can also feel the back plate being not planar simply passing my hand over it.

I don't care about it during use, I'm just curious to see if I'm the usual unlucky one or if it's a trend with this large display.

20180605_002836-2256x1701.jpg

Edit:
    Added self explanatory photo. Surface Book 2 15" on bottom and 22" display on top.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  9. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

My glass is slightly warped near the bezels - like you I can see this from the reflections. There are a dozen or so surface books and SB2s around the office, and they're all like this. Seems like a build quality issue, albeit a minor one. It's a shame because otherwise the hardware is so beautifully made.

Kneehow - right now I'm just using a 5 dollar ikea tablet stand. Does the trick.

I'm slowly getting adapted to the machine. Stomped out most of the usability bugs and other issues. But the prevailing feeling I'm left with is that performance sucks. I can get my work done on it, but it's not a big step up in performance from my last machine (which was four years old, integrated graphics only). It's no step up at all in fact. On paper it's a beast, but in action it's a wet rag.

Azzart likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Are there such things?