Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL THAT FIRMWARE AND DRIVERS UPDATE
    aside from not installing any wintab driver at all, it also made my Windows Hello camera (actualy, any camera) not working anymore.

Obviously I created a System restore point before installing it. Even more obviously the System restore utilty doesn't work. I wonder what's the point in having a System Restore utility where you create restore points when it clearly NEVER works. -.-

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Wait, do you mean you create a restore point and when you go to restore to it it doesn't appear as an option? I ask because I could swear on several occasions I had created RPs but found none existed around the dates I felt certain I'd created them. I assumed I was "forgetful" (which I can be!) or that perhaps I hadn't notice messages that it failed to be created. But 3+ times in the past 18 mos? Don't think so.

3. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I was able to install it fine.. My camera's still working and the machine's running without any hiccups so far.

I don't use wintab though..

4. Azzart

I can see my restore points when I tell windows to show me more of them.
    But none has ever worked so far: after around 10 minutes of trying Windows tells me it was unable to restore due to blablabla bla and bla.

5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows system restore wont be your friend in the case of a Firmware update it only deals with the OS system/drivers and software. It's very hit and miss in my experience and not something you can rely on when the shtf.

You would need a flash utility that allows you to flash the Firmware back to an older version. I don't think Samsung provide one or at least I haven't seen one. The other thing is most vendors like Samsung tend to prevent regressive versions, forcing an update to a greater version number. Sometimes you can get past that if all they check is the file name although there is a degree of risk messing with stuff like that by circumventing their version control. The only way to flash the Firmware I have seen is to use the stupid Samsung Update utility, which removes any ability for user control beyond clicking on yes or no, even if you download it to apply manually.

If they rolled out firmware with a bug that takes the cameras out I would have thought they would have put out a new version pretty quick, so maybe something else is effecting your cameras?

6. Azzart

Bear in mind I'm on the Surface Book 2 now, not the Galaxy Book. Not that it changes much the matter though... :)

Anyway, it seems at least I'm not the only one: there's another disgraced like me:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/co...irmware_and_now_cameras_stopped/?ref=readnext

Edit:
    I did what the guy did: I reinstalled the Intel graphics driver (the one from Intel, the Microsoft one sucks) and the camera is back to normal.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Shizaru likes this.
  7. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

You may have better luck finding flash utilities for an MS product. But like you say it's all much the same. I'm sure the cats will be pleased to hear the cameras are working again, they must have missed all that Ytube exposure and internet fame that cats seem to crave these days. If cats ever learn to type they will own the internet!

Azzart likes this.
  8. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

huh. Can't find the pen setting your referring to.

9. Azzart

10. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks! I hate this business of having setting scattered everywhere. Why the hell isn't that setting discoverable, oh, i dunno, /in settings/?
    Got wintab working in photoshop. Result: no pressure! Sigh, it never ends. Anyone else who switched to wintab lose their pressure?

<edit> got it working. Downloaded and installed and OLD ASS wintab driver, from 2015. Pressure is back. And alt picking is fast, finally!

<edit part deux> can I just say: **** microsoft.

Last edited: May 12, 2018