Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:newpalm::vbbiggrin::vbtongue::vbwink:

2. dstrauss

Well, that tears it, I'll be too old to care by then!!!! Thanks Jeff, you've relieved my stresser...

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry, responding to quotes the lazy way :vboops:. Regular text is @jnjroach : bolded italics is me.

Equifax was On premises breach, your NAS is much less secure than the cloud, most NAS solutions use outdated SAMBA implementations. The good news you can chose what services you are willing to use. OneNote 2016 is available and supported through 2025.

Again, you are assuming that they are equally likely to be attacked. I have never been hacked. I may someday, and my defenses may prove inadequate, but Equifax could just as well been an online breach, virtually all systems are so easily penetrated and hackers who want to get rich go for target-rich environments, not my hard drive! They can shut down our power plants at will. You're taking the losing side of the discussion my friend.

That is mostly true in the US and some developing markets but in large parts of Europe, Africa and Asia always connected is the norm. Hopefully 5G here in the US will change that scenario for us. This is about technology changes, in many ways it is indicative of the change in car culture here in the US, as cars became appliances, enthusiasts stuck with and bought up legacy cars to keep their passion of tweaking and building, the rest of the market embraced appliance-like vehicles customizing mainly external or cosmetic features.

Believe me, while it may be hard to tweak present day cars - though there's a substantial market in engine performance chips, upscale suspensions, etc - but the selection of automobiles in the market include a vast number that are very far from "appliances," in fact, driving dynamics combined with fuel efficiency are having a renaissance. Your analogy would be more akin to the govt legislating that all cars have to connect to a grid and be self-driving. That's a "technological shift" that would get me marching in the streets - and sadly, I'm afraid that day may come. It's certainly nothing to celebrate, though I understand it will save lives. Takes away something of American culture, and I'm not one who usually speaks up for such things. I do like cars though, almost as much as laptops :D

This will be an area where we won't agree - which is OK :) I run a successful consultancy with client and company IP all on the back of cloud services.

Well why didn't you say so, Jeff? Then we wouldn't have bothered disagreeing with you. If my livelihood depended upon people being forced to give up choices and adapt to not new technology but new business models, I think I would be a strong advocate for them as well! (I knew you were an IT consultant and joined at the hip with MS, just didn't make the connection to cloud-love. Delighted to hear you're successful, truly :))

Shizaru likes this.
  5. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for declaring your conflict of interest. :) We certainly will have to agree to disagree as we are both deeply entrenched in our views. :) I hope you manage to retire somewhere nice before the shtf in that market sector. :D

Don't start me off on 5G...I will spare you my thoughts on that but a little research in to the subject is advised.

@lovelaptops I'm with you on the whole car thing.

6. dstrauss

@lovelaptops @Shizaru and @jnjroach

I think we've swung too far off the tracks here. Jeff is a strong advocate, but also a critical one of Microsoft when the issue arises. He is a well respected member of the community and I see no conflict of interest in what he has advocated here. It is purely a difference of opinion from which he speaks with personal experience; I as much as anyone agitated the conversation and i apologize for that. I hate to end our thread wrangling with personal attacks for any reason.

7. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the previous release preview affect my Samsung Odyssey VR.. I'll try it tonight and see if the problems return.. I did do an image of my book before i upgraded so i can revert back to it a lot easier

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I didn't intend it to come across as a personal attack...it's a matter of fact due to a distinct vested interest/bias in that technology, well beyond that of some average Joe blow user, and I was and am not insinuating anything other than that.

I have no ill feelings over some tech chat in a forum with someone I have never met.

9. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Aaaaand I was advised to stay on the fall update if I'm using the VR headset with the surface book 2 because I helped them find a true bug for the April update.

It's a change in the windows 10 graphics stack that's causing the issue. Will require an os fix that'll take might take few weeks.

Azzart likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I apologize for my part in the rants. I certainly didn't mean it as an ad-hominem attack on you, Jeff and I do feel passionately about the points I stated, but I can see how they could appear to have been meant to needle you and for that I apologize. I would hope we can have the same discussion but steer clear of anything personal. @jnjroach , your opinions appear quite strident on the subject and those opinions, not you nor your integrity, did touch some nerves, even those of @dstrauss , who rightfully put a stop to the tone that I, for one, had adopted. And I do think it is important to disclose any corporate ties we have when advocating strongly for a controversial position. And I do very much value your knowledge as you have been close to the nexus of decision making and have years of customer experience we can all benefit by. Peace.

nnthemperor likes this.