Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This poses several conundrums:
    1. Internet connectivity, even in 2018, is not ubiquitous - your notes have to be locally stored as well.
    2. I hear Apple and Samsung calling - why stay with Microsoft and its OEM's if it is a "consistent experience across all devices?"
    3. Telling people that UWP versions are good enough "for their needs" is the most Apple-like statement of all...forget what you want to have, these are good enough for you...
    I would like to address the first paragraph more specifically. All of those paradigm shifts were brought about by new technologies - memory expansion beyond the 1mb barrier; the progression from 8 to 16,32, and 64 bit computing devices; hardware improvements from the processor to graphics power; better (and simpler) network topology; BUT this shift to the cloud has NOTHING to do with technological breakthroughs or advances; this is all about vendors locking their customers into their computing walled garden for the preservation of their long term revenue streams. The real surprise is how far behind Apple is - my experience with iCloud has been a dumpster fire compared to OneDrive (consumer and Sharepoint), Google Drive, and Amazon (much less Dropbox).

Since there is really no alternative to Microsoft's drive to cloud services, I guess I'll just crawl back under my rock and pretend the end never happened.:eek:o_O:(:rolleyes:

dellaster, Shizaru and lovelaptops like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

A few words of advice:
    1. Don't start a betting pool, as even I don't have a clue about what's in the on deck circle. I am generally very pleased with the SB2, especially as a laptop.
    2. I will be searching for a better general note taking solution. I would KILL for an iPad Mini Pro with Pencil support. THAT is the size you really need for on the go note taking. Now if the Surface Courier brings that in a folding package, I (and AMEX) will be first in line.
    3. OneNote - I don't have much experience with OneNote on Android, but when i did it was inferior to iOS version (except for S-pen support - oh snap). Most reviewers that I remember preferred the iOS version, but not sure if that is because it was their personal system, or the general preference (warranted in my belief) for the iOS version over Android of any software.
    4. I have read some good things, from some Apple geeks, that make me believe if you are buying a pure tablet supplement to your PC, go with the iPad 2018 and a Pencil - the Pro's are now leaning towards those folks who would replace a MacBook 12, MacBook Air, or even an i5 or lower PC with an iPad Pro. AND - the iPP 12.9" is only slightly smaller than your 13.5" Clipboard, albeit with much better battery life.

lovelaptops likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Ditto, ditto..... ditto. I can picture myself in 1996, as a VP for Revenue at AOL saying to some analysts: "run me scenarios showing how much higher our revenues will be if we don't let people use their own browsers to go on the web, but force them - if they want access to our great proprietary content (like sex chat rooms!) - to use our integrated browser and stay inside our frame (aka, walled garden). This is how business decisions like the MS UWP One Note are made. As @dstrauss says, it has nothing to do with enabling technologies or user experience.

Shizaru likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

This is absolute BS! There isn't a reason in the world not to allow local storage. Don't even think about telling me MS' cloud is safer than my NAS. Ever hear of a company called Equifax? Neither have most of the 145 million Americans whose financial data they let hackers take. In 2018 nobody can say corporate clouds are safe - and that's leaving aside the question of whether I trust MS with my personal info, much less hackers. I'm with @dstrauss on this: bye-bye One Note (snif)

Shizaru likes this.
  5. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think that local is safer. I think you have different vulnerabilities. That said, there are use cases for keeping info in the cloud and info locally, but to think locally is safer is a little bit of a myth short of cutting your local storage from any network access. :)

Just google 'is cloud storage safer than local storage' and you can see the pros and cons and decide yourself.

Doesn't change the fact that I think Microsoft should offer options on where you want to save your notes though. Let the user decide.

6. lovelaptops

I know what you're saying, and in truth it's your last sentence that I feel most passionate about. Still, the issue of "safety" is quite complex and I have read quite a lot about it and one thing that is true is that my local storage is not the target that third party consumer data aggregators' are nor do I have to worry what Microsoft is doing with the data on my local storage. Lack of choice in this regard is absurd, entirely indefensible and somewhat scary in the trend that it suggests. As there are excellent substitutes for all the MS Office products - except One Note - I mostly don't care about their new policies. But I can learn to do without some of the unduplicated features of One Note Desktop and expect that this might just be the straw that drives competitors to up their game. Ain't no rocket science in it, as far as I can tell. Short run, 2016 will surely serve my needs.

Shizaru likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

Btw, should we start a new thread on the topic of MS Office 2019 and the One Note storage travesty? It's not my forte to choose the forum, title the thread, get members to notice it.

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

One thing's for sure you can rely on @dstrauss to say something that causes a ruckus. He's a very naughty boy!

dstrauss likes this.
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Equifax was On premises breach, your NAS is much less secure than the cloud, most NAS solutions use outdated SAMBA implementations. The good news you can chose what services you are willing to use. OneNote 2016 is available and supported through 2025.

That is mostly true in the US and some developing markets but in large parts of Europe, Africa and Asia always connected is the norm. Hopefully 5G here in the US will change that scenario for us. This is about technology changes, in many ways it is indicative of the change in car culture here in the US, as cars became appliances, enthusiasts stuck with and bought up legacy cars to keep their passion of tweaking and building, the rest of the market embraced appliance-like vehicles customizing mainly external or cosmetic features.

This will be an area where we won't agree - which is OK :) I run a successful consultancy with client and company IP all on the back of cloud services.

10. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member