Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

So.. I'm wondering if when you flip the clipboard, the drivers decided to run the game using the integrated rather than the NVIDIA GPU.. I'm going to test this out.. I'll turn on the little NVIDIA icon in the tray area to see..

Did you try the NVIDIA options of forcing the game to run using the NVIDIA GPU that I mentioned in yesterday's post?

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

No, it uses the Geforce.
    I don't think the Intel uhd 620 can even start running Witcher 3 with those settings. :D

Edit:
    I think the throttling could have been engineered to prevent the base of the Surface throwing too much hot air on the back of the clipboard.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  3. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

That could be. I don't have witcher 3 on my surface book 2. I mostly keep turn based strategy games and VR games on the SB2.

4. Azzart

Well, new day new problems.
    I'm on the latest Insider Preview 17133.Something and even if there weren't any recent updates, since this morning the Surface Book 2 has started to lag lag lag when on Suggested and Better Performance battery plan. More if I'm on battery, when plugged in it runs better.
    No matter the input: pen, trackpad or touch they all lag.
    I recorded a short video of the behaviour:

Look at the GHz of the cpu while in Reccomended power plan. That's the coulprit, it shouldn't behave like that and I have no clue how to get it back to normal behaviour save from installing Windows from scratch.
    I only have a security update from six days ago, so I see little point to uninstall it since it only started today but I may give it a try.
    What a mess.

Edit:
    I see I have the Spectre and Meltdown protection patched, could it be this that makes the system go mud slow?

Edit 2:

Turns out I was patched for S&M. I don't know if it's related but I disabled the protection for both, restarted and the problem went away. Enabled the protection again, restarted and the machine seems to be still problem free.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Telstar1948 likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why would you buy such a high end device and mess up there experience with a pre-release software? It's not worth it man.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

6. Azzart

It's stable and it was the only easy way I found at that time to get the normal pen behaviour back short of reinstalling windows.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Surface Book 2 cooling fan report - yes sports fans, the fan has started running in draw mode (Screen reversed over keyboard for note taking). It is not constant, but frequent, just not near as loud as the SB 1 was.

Speedfan just doesn't work with the 4 core 8 thread Kaby Lake-R. temperatures of 429496448C on 4 of the 7 monitors (I think I just discovered a nuclear fusion reactor)...

Core Temp 1.11 shows an Average temp of 48C on the four cores with loads ranging from 0-10% on each of the cores. That's still 120F which seems high on such miniscule loads.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

What apps caused your SB1 fans to run loudly? I've only had mine for 5 days, but rarely hear fans, and only for few minutes. That's running One Note, 15 Chrome tabs, a few other non-taxing apps. They never came on during 2 hours of setup/updates. Have a suggestion for stressing it?

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

First, this was a first release model, and it was a dumpster fire for overheating and shutting down in general. Second, even after Win 10 and firmware upgrades stabilized hot-bagging, it always ran hot and fan blew unendingly whenever in "Draw Mode" with the screen reversed over the keyboard. It has to be a venting issue. Not as pronounced in the SB2, but still a good amount of heat for loads averaging BELOW 10% of the processor utilization. But if used as a laptop, it is silent city for the most part.

lovelaptops likes this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks. So much more convenient to take notes and sketch with screen reversed. Will give it a try and monitor temps. Was your SB1 an i7? RAM? SSD?

Other than the above, are you still liking/loving your SB2?