Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

I knew thst was a stupid decision on Microsoft's part, the guy who suggested that on the reddit did not really think this through. They need to give a toggle button to change that in settings.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I gave a try to Divinity original sin 2 tonight in bed while on battery.
    Tweaked the game to be relatively conservative on battery using Nvidia Experience with the Surface Book running in Better Performance and I have to say I'm not really impressed: the game runs fine for a few minutes (5 perhaps?) with 40-50 fps, then Gpu heavily throttles and it goes down to an unbearable 15-19 fps.
    The machine gets pretty hot on the bottom and fans in the lower portion are always on predictably. Not particularly loud, I'd say perfectly acceptable.
    Tomorrow I'll try doing the same on power chord to see if the throttle still occurs.
    I could also set things to max performance just to give it a try, but I already know that means the gpu fan skyrocketing to a aeroplane waiting to take off level of noise and I'm not sure it's bearable while I'm in bed.:rolleyes:

3. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know about playing on battery but I was able to play SkyrimVR with my Samsung Odyssey for an hour without any issues with it while plugged in.. And if there's any bad performance and reprojection happens, you can really tell in VR and it'll make you sick as a dog. I even had it sitting on a couch so the bottom wasn't even touching something that drew away heat.

This was on better performance. BTW

4. Azzart

Yeah I was just going to give an update. :D

Today I tried it plugged in and there's no signs of throttling whatsoever.
    I tried Divinity original sin 2 again even with a more demanding configuration and had a steady 40-45 fps all time.
    Obviously I tried best performance too but it seems to me the machine gets too streessed up that way for a prolonged use. Not mentioning the fan noise is only bearable if you live alone and play with headphone on.

5. Jcink

Jcink Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello all. New Surface Book 2 owner for the past couple weeks and love it except for the battery drain issue. Battery will drain even while encoding on Adobe Premier Pro 2018, so it isn't just a gaming problem. It doesn't drain MUCH, maybe 1-2% per hour, but it would be nice if it drained a lot less. I found the only 100w USB adapter.

The Book 2's adapter is 102w but I found out that it will only supply 95w to the computer. 7w goes to the stupid phone usb port. I don't know why they did this, especially if it's not in use! 100w will give it that 5 extra which would be hugely significant. Am I missing anything here? This power supply is $79 and made by Wacom. It is expensive as heck but still cheaper than Microsoft's charger. I'd like to own a second charger anyway so I'm thinking of going this route, but I won't bother if it won't help with this issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Power-Adapter-USB-C-ACK42714/dp/B074HDZ3QP/

Edit: Just noticed my signature says Dell Venue 11 Pro i5... rofl. :D

6. jyan_osu

This link might help you out as it provides a lot of information
    https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2...o-3-pro-4-and-docking-station-power-supplies/

7. Azzart

@jyan_osu I have to correct myself: I'm here in bed now, I'm plugged in and in Better Performance and the machine gpu still throttle like hell after like three minutes of playing, passing from 40fps to a steady and unplayable 15fps.

I have no clue what's going on. Does this thing knows it's on my lap instead of a desk so it purposedly reduces the performance to prevent getting too hot?
    I'm out of ideas how to solve this problem.

8. jyan_osu

Working with Geoff, a Microsoft engineer for the Windows Mixed Reality team on my Samsung Odyssey review using a Surface Book 2. I heard of many great improvements for WMR with the Spring Update.

Looks like I was able to create a case of lag with it though and they're looking into it. He was able to duplicate some of the performance issues and told me to hold off on updating to the Spring Update in the Insider's Program.

9. jyan_osu

No, it shouldn't. I don't know why it's doing that. I haven't had any issues with mine in that regards to playing games and I've gone through a gamet of Steam games myself.

What NVIDIA driver version are you using? 388.08 seems to be the one recommended by Microsoft currently.

If you just got it, I'd do a complete refresh from recovery as well. I was told using the recovery image from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage would eliminate a lot of variables compared to using the factory reset option.

You could try updating the NVIDIA drivers, see if that helps.

10. jyan_osu

OOOH. Try this.. I wonder when you unplugged it if it's defaulting to using the Integrated GPU instead of the NVIDIA GPU.. set it up to use the NVIDIA processor like this:

upload_2018-4-16_20-41-10.png