Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually, the environment-friendliness of digital notetaking and ebook reading and video conferences are all overrated. The old school way of using fairies, notepads and meeting people in person and buying a real novel, might even be more environment-friendly. At least, I for one have no delusions about it, I don't think digital handwriting is a more moral choice. I am here in this enthusiast group for a different reason, it's all about convenience for me. If I am buying a computer and a phone, the technological marvels of the modern times, I should not have to buy and carry papers and lug around documents and physical folders, in addition to the cost and weight of my tech equipment like a phone and a laptop.

Solutions like a Moleskine app and a paper notebook just add on to the many steps of a workflow, that can be simpler if I could just directly write on a screen. It's the failure of modern pen tech that is so unsatisfying so as to push people back to pen and paper despite owning thousands of dollars worth of tech equipment, in the name of productivity, creativity, speed and efficiency.

I tested thee Apple pencil second time in my life, on a 10.5" iPad and I was underwhelmed, the handwriting was nowhere close to my handwriting on paper or Note7/8. And the reason was clear to me, 240Hz is simply not enough. My handwriting on Note8 simply looked more real, my sign looked like the one I make on a paper. It was all about the friction that Spen nib, the thinness of it and just the unrivalled 360Hz polling rate that makes it so realistic. In fact, in terms of friction and thinness of the nib, the Surface pen itself was very close to usable, if only it's high IAF and Even poorer polling rate had not dragged it down. By looking at the numbers alone one might be fooled into thinking that Apple pencil might have achieved parity with SPen, but the truth is not everything is in these numbers for IAF and pressure levels. It's these other little things that too make up the handwriting experience in toto. It's like deeming an LG OLED display equal to that of Samsung produced display panel, just because they have the same resolution, without considering other factors like saturation and contrast. But an iPad is the only option I got in my country. Sp2017 was not released in India, nor there was any galaxy book. I will buy an iPadpro and the pencil but i wont be happy about it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I totally agree about workflow. Nothing beats writing on the SP2017, using OneNote for everything and having everything synced into the cloud or my NAS in one simple step.

The only downside is having to boot up the Surface before a presentation. No need to boot up the LiveScribe pen.

...but I'd still take SP2017/ON any day of the week.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

A little update on my SB2 15": It arrived this morning in less than 24 hours from Netherlands to Italy.
    It's been a hell of a day so I will write more in depth considerations when I had more time to play with it and I'm more relaxed.

That said, the good:
    - screen is beautiful, not perfectly even when it comes to luminosity throughout the display but it's still lovely. And huge. It's hard to think about a 12" device when you try something so majestic.
    - overall it's as beautiful a device as I remembered. Take the old Surface Book, make it mass ive and here it is. The hinge gap feels less present at this size
    - tablet portion is light. So light I can easily hold it one handed
    - pen is not as good as Wacom emr from Samsung but feels better than when I tried it on the Surface Pro.
    It still suffers from that sort of electric interference that makes it go astray from time to time, not as terrible as it was on the Surface Pro 2017 when it came out though.
    A glove seems to reduce it almost completely so it's almost mandatory for a consistent experience.

The Bad:
    - it's been sitting on my table this morning for about a hour when someone suddenly rang my doorbell.
    I talked to her less than five minutes and when I came back I found in horror one of my cats had already chewed away the power cord in two points.
    The charger still partially works but I have to order a new one for the cheap and affordable price of €110.
    Lovely.

P.S.
    I almost tought to get the Microsoft 2 years accidental damage care plan. A pity it costs only another €250 for the Surface Book.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    siddhartth, YVerloc, JoeS and 2 others like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

First of all, congrats on your new Surface Book 2! Second... OUCH! So sorry to hear about your cat's unwarranted attack on your shiny new device. :(

I've learned to rub something smelly on new cords, but sometimes I forget and then I really regret it. I have no idea how much money in cables my kitty cat has chewed through. Just the other day I went to get the car vacuum to do some cleaning in the motorhome and I discovered that the cord had been bitten in half.

20180412_155317-01.jpeg

Azzart likes this.
  5. Azzart

Uh, I forgot!
    The Book worked fine with pen for a hour or two, than windows updated and I entered again the crowd of those who can't use properly their drawing software because Microsoft decided again your pen has to act as a finger even if you actually want to draw.
    And I can't uninstall that damned update!
    In the last 3-4 days I'm continually hearing people ranting they can't work anymore in Photoshop because of this and it's infuriating.
    Why Microsoft, why?
    I already enrolled back to Insider Preview since I already know build 17133 works perfectly.

siddhartth likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

They look so innocent...

upload_2018-4-12_18-23-4.png

Azzart and dellaster like this.
  7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Maybe this should be a general warning, had my kitties do this twice to our SP1 cord, adorable, but little terrors when they want to be.
    Sorry about that Azzart.:(

Azzart and dellaster like this.
  8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I knew thst was a stupid decision on Microsoft's part, the guy who suggested that on the reddit did not really think this through. They need to give a toggle button to change that in settings.

9. Azzart

I gave a try to Divinity original sin 2 tonight in bed while on battery.
    Tweaked the game to be relatively conservative on battery using Nvidia Experience with the Surface Book running in Better Performance and I have to say I'm not really impressed: the game runs fine for a few minutes (5 perhaps?) with 40-50 fps, then Gpu heavily throttles and it goes down to an unbearable 15-19 fps.
    The machine gets pretty hot on the bottom and fans in the lower portion are always on predictably. Not particularly loud, I'd say perfectly acceptable.
    Tomorrow I'll try doing the same on power chord to see if the throttle still occurs.
    I could also set things to max performance just to give it a try, but I already know that means the gpu fan skyrocketing to a aeroplane waiting to take off level of noise and I'm not sure it's bearable while I'm in bed.:rolleyes:

10. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know about playing on battery but I was able to play SkyrimVR with my Samsung Odyssey for an hour without any issues with it while plugged in.. And if there's any bad performance and reprojection happens, you can really tell in VR and it'll make you sick as a dog. I even had it sitting on a couch so the bottom wasn't even touching something that drew away heat.

This was on better performance. BTW