Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Will you be happy with the IAF that Surfacebook2 provides? I am curious about your inking experience on this device.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I was fine even with the iaf of the Surface Pro 4 honestly. :D

3. siddhartth

No comments then.
    But still congratulations on ur new workhorse.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

SB2 - I am still a fan and advocate for Wacom EMR (I think it is as much nib feel on glass as inking) - but the Galaxy Book 12 had a USB C port die, and bogged down more than I had patience for with too many Chrome and Word windows open. I also got a great deal on the top of the line SB2 13.5"with 16gb/1tb - $2544.

SB/SB2/N-Trig - My wife has, and likes, my SB 2 but almost never uses the pen. I use the pen all the time, and the SB2 does not overheat when left in draw Mode all day (screen reversed and folded down over the keyboard for a pure writing surface). I then have my two QHD monitors hooked to the dock for max productivity and single cable docking. As for N-Trig - the newest Microsoft Pen (the one with no clip) is between the SP4 Pen and Wacom EMR on my Galaxy Book 12. I still think it is the feel of Wacom EMR on glass (smooth as butter) that draws me to it, but the new Surface Pen is "good enough." As for my "minimalist" approach to life, I guess I'm like the most "holics" in that I crave the goodies as much as the practicality (chocolate over broccoli); the high power smoothness, speed, and polish despite being able to do with substantially less.

convertibletabletreview - I let that one lapse. Since joining this motley crew I just let it lapse - I can pontificate as well from here as there, and with much less work.

Now my eyes are on the lookout for a companion device for the SB2 - and since Apple has me in cement overshoes on the iPhone X, I'm just waiting to see i Microsoft will bring us a Surface Courier, or if I will eventually succumb to the Galaxy Note.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

God I love my Note 8 and I got two people to buy it after they played with mine. Best phone I've ever owned.

siddhartth likes this.
  6. siddhartth

It's the best handwriting experience, I would say it's superior to the cintiqs. It has the highest polling rate than that of any enabled device. I am sure the next Note9 will have a 120 Hz display too, along with 6to8GB RAM and with 360 Hz polling rate, better than what ipad pro or Surface pro has to offer. Only downside to it will be the operating system it runs and lack of right click menus. I strongly believe Right click of mouse in anroid should act as longpress instead of back button. Similar to what we have in windows.

7. Azzart

Just this: I had to download 450mb of drivers for the Galaxy Book after installing a fresh vanilla Windows 10 on it and the book didn't have the Wi-Fi working. I easily downloaded the zip on the phone, plugged in a usb pen drive, copy/paste it and then on the computer.
    Easy peasy.

Imagine the nightmare doing that with an iPhone.
    I liked my iPhone 6 plus, but when it comes to doing computer things there's simply no match compared to Android and the Note 8.

8. Azzart

Uhm, I was wondering...
    How much time does it usually take for an order placed on the Microsoft Store to be delivered? I know I've been spoiled by Amazon, but having no expected delivery date and a funny "pending" status placed near a €2700 order makes me a little worried.

Edit:
    I just had the bad idea of googling "Microsoft Store order pending".
    I wish I didn't, it's even worse than searching for symptoms on internet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    wytn likes this.
  9. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks!

One question. Didn't you used to have a SB1 before? I think you went from a Surface to the SB1, and then moved off of the SB1 onto something else. Curious to know what is better the second time around with the SB2?

Did they improve something that makes it better for your use?

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

SB1 in Draw Mode would overheat, and I needed to have it ready for note taking at any time. I also "burned out" with the abysmal mess it was when first released - hot bagging, instability, etc. Now, after god knows how many updates, it is running pretty good. In the meantime, SB2 has been rock solid..so I am more satisfied this go around. It is a great laptop, but still not the answer for quick meeting note taking, like an iPad Pro or GB12.