Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but it will only be USB-C 3.1; no Thunderbolt support with that adapter.

2. dstrauss

Reality check time folks - I know some think I've been overly curmudgeonly (even for me) about the Surface Book 2, but my HP Spectre x360 arrives today, and I wanted to explain my frustration with Microsoft by a quick side by side:

...........................Surface Book 2.......HP Spectre x360........Notes
    Retail Price...........$3299...................$1820.....................Got mine on sale for $1679
    Screen...................15" (3240x2160).....15.6" (3840x2160)
    RAM..................... 16GB.......................16GB
    SSD........................1TB.........................1TB
    Processor...............17-8650U................i7-8550U...............Comparison
    dGPU.....................GTX 1060...............MX150....................Clear victory here for MS
    OS..........................WinPro 10...............WinPro 10
    Thunderbolt 3..........No...........................Yes
    USB-C 3.1...............Yes...........................Yes
    USB A.....................2...............................1
    HDMI.....................No............................Yes........................That's 4k HDMI 2.0
    SDXC......................Yes...........................Yes
    Detachable..............Yes...........................No.........................HP has a 360 degree hinge
    Stylus....................$99..........................Included..................Both are N-Trig
    Drool-Worthy..........Yes...........................???

OK folks, you tell me - how much value do you see in $1578 (NO ONE would buy this without a pen)? Clearly the GTX 1060 will run circles (well, may be more like a Corvette against a Prius), so if you are a true gamer, that alone may sway you, until I hook up an external full power GPU to my Thunderbolt port and smoke your @$$.

Personally, I really prefer the 3:2 ratio of the Surface screen, and Clipboard mode is far handier than flipping over the big screen of the HP and having to carry around HP beast (NOTE - they weigh the same in laptop mode - 4.4# each). If you are "Starbucking" the Surface Book is only a notch below the even more ridiculously priced MacBook Pro 15 for street cred (the HP will come across as just another HP, Dell, Acer, Asus, Lenovo, where you'll be sitting on the Animal House reject couch). But then again, with $1578 I can get a Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy Book 10.6.

PS - @MobileTechReview - Lisa, this will be the smackdown I really want to see!

For now, I guess I'll sit with the wimp and the blimp at Starbucks...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  3. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

lol @ sitting with the cool kids...it's what you do with it that counts!

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...that alone may sway you, until I hook up an external full power GPU to my Thunderbolt port and smoke your @$$...>>

...But if you do this, then you have to include the cost of the graphics card and the external housing. Now your $1578 delta is looking a bit smaller... and that graphics processing delta isn't mobile...

However, I don't disagree with your basic complaint; Microsoft's pricing is "Apple-esque."

Omazic.iv and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

Oh, I know the price delta shrinks considerably, but I have lots of other future expansion possibilities as well, unlike the SB2. Plus, I would have to be a real gamer, and that I am not.

For me, this goes beyond "Apple-esque" as Apple has no competitor in the MacOS world (aren't monopolies grand) but MS has tons of competitors in the Windows World.

Omazic.iv likes this.
  6. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

If the 15 inch clipboard lasts 3.5 - 4 hours, that is worth $1500 to me :)

The 15 inch base model is the best. I am glad I don't need 1TB SSD.

Azzart likes this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Me too. I just realised the 15" base model has 16gb of ram, I thought it had only 8...

Omazic.iv likes this.
  8. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

Me 2. I thought it was 8. 16GB is no brainer.

9. Solomir

Solomir Pen Pal - Newbie

The lack of a numpad on the 15" is a bit disappointing.
    Also, I really wish for MS surface division to start recognizing Israel as a valid market, considering we came up with the pen.
    Unlike software or even other hardware products, like the Lumia line, no surface device has an official supplier here, which means no support, no warranty and more than twice price before taxes.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Will the new keyboard(& usb-c) work on the Surface Book 1? Can I use to the new SB2 on the SB1 keyboard?