Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I used to work with Stormy. :rolleyes:

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm not trolling Japan!
    I swear.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sent from mTalk

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

You must be the lady I've seen with her at the restaurant(this was a few years ago near Los Feliz). I was the one waving my surface pen.

5. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok I'm kinda impressed that I was able to run the Samsung Odyssey with the Surface Book 2. It's pretty damn awesome to have a portable VR machine that fits into a backpack along with the headset and controllers. I have a HTC Vive and had an Oculus DK2. And now, I'll be able to show the folks at work the wonderful world of VR with just the Odyssey and the Surface Book 2.

Picked up an Odyssey after it went on sale for $399. I also picked up a USB-C to HDMI for the Surface Book 2.

6. Azzart

And now Skyrim Vr is available on pc too. :D

7. jyan_osu

Oh yah that's my current assignment. I've been deep in Skyrim VR on my main rig with the vive so can't wait to check it out on the Surface book 2 and Samsung Odyssey.

Azzart likes this.
  8. Azzart

I wonder if it can handle some mods on the Surface Book 2.
    Not that I'm going to get any WMR headset anytime soon since I didn't have time to play vr games even on the ps4 I've just sold...

Completely OT:
    Do you happen to have any experience with Divinity original sin 2? I can't decide myself between that and startig back The Witcher 3 since I only played it a few hours briefly a year ago.

9. jyan_osu

It took me a while to get it running as nothing was displaying on my HMD, but I was able to run the SteamVR demo fine. Then I figured it out. The Surface Book 2 was defaulting to the Intel graphics chip. I changed the NVIDIA preferences to use the GPU instead and boom, Skyrim in VR in my living room. From what I've read, the game can run a lot of mods without much or any performance issues.

Playing on the Surface Book 2 was pretty good. Definitely not as good as my main rig, but it was really really good. I'm wondering if it's because I have SQL Server running constantly as well as Slack and a few other things which could have held it back. Which is why right now i'm looking at Docker to run containers for my SQL Server so when I'm not developing, I can keep the SQL Server off. I mostly use the dev SQL Server that Vis Studio installs or in memory since a few of my projects are in Entity Framework Core 2. Also, I didn't set it to best performance when plugged in so will try that.

Oh as far as Divinity Original Sin 2 goes, I have't but my brother loves that series and he's an RPG fan. I'm going to pick it up because of the DnD integration since a bunch of has have been playing Neverwinter Nights. https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/9/15...ster-mode-gameplay-video-dungeons-and-dragons

Azzart likes this.
  10. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Apologies for interrupting all of the fun... ;)

@dstrauss, I've always enjoyed your search for the perfect machine. I always like hearing what you have to say about pros and cons of the various devices. I admit that I'm enjoying my SP2017 so much that I'm not on this board as much as I have been in the past.

Anyway, I know that you're now on the SB2. Previously you had a Samsung. I think the Wacom/EMR got you to move from a Surface Pro to the Samsung. I'm curious what motivated you to get back to the SB2?

I seem to recall that you had tried an SB before. What is difference about this time around on the SB, compared with last time? Are you finding that the N-Trig on the SB2 is "good enough" to sway you from the Samsung?

And what ever happened to your blog? I think it was "convertibletabletreview", I tried googling it, but it didn't show up.

Thanks!