Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

2. Iceman82

Iceman82 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, in class with my new Surface Book 2 and OneNote won't recognise touch or pen input properly.

Touch: Point and select works in menus but not on the notes page. I can't scroll up or down by touching and dragging on screen. I can point and select using the pen, but it won't write ink. Any suggestions?

I'm using the pen from my SP4. It has inked in OneNote before, but it stopped. Close OneNote and restart makes ink work again for a little while, then it stops. Have I got a lemon SB2 or is it probably software problems?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You have successfully received the FCU that removes those functions from the pen. There is a whole thread about here on how to avoid it. Start by restoring an earlier version and then read through that thread.

4. Iceman82

Awesome! ... and if my SB2 came with FCU already installed?

I'll look for the other thread.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ah, that may be a pickle.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

6. Iceman82

Sure is!

I'm pretty sure it just did basic updates when I set it up. It's possible it did FCU, so I might be able to revert to initial state and tell windows update to delay updates. If so, I'll have a while for everyone to rage and get pen behaviour fixed. Hooray for Windows 10 Pro "extra features" allowing delayed updates.

In the meantime, I'm trying to recreate the conditions where pen and touch stop working properly. Currently I can scroll and write in OneNote with no problem. Everything seems to be working as I expect it to. I just know that as soon as I'm back in class teaching, it will quit on me again. Fortunately I haven't trusted tech for a long time and have a SP4 and iPad Pro as backups. But taking 3 devices to class is ridiculous!!

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. dstrauss

[​IMG]

He's back...check out my latest signature...yep, picked it up on Amazon this morning for $700 off MS price (with tax savings that is; $450 off retail).

8. Iceman82

Updating to Fall Creator's Update, or avoiding?

Curious to know how you go with pen issues.

All the best!

9. dstrauss

Frankly, I have no idea yet on how I'll handle all of that...maybe should just stick to a Big Chief tablet and Number 2 pencil...

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It'll be available online at Microsoft Store Italy April 6th.
    For some reasons the store tells me I'm eligible for a 10% student discount: how tempting that 15" display, damn Microsoft!
    I have to get to the Microsoft House building in Milan to give it a try along with the Surface Studio. :D

dstrauss likes this.