Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Indeed!

There's a reason the wrist watch computer isn't a thing, and it's not about computing power. It's that after the gee whiz factor finally wore off, people needed to get things done.

The smart phone is big enough for checking your social networking feed and signaling to the herd, (with all-thumbs grammar and sound bite thinking), but robust content creation is an exercise in futility on a device that small.

"Monkey-Sized" is an important consideration, and going too thin, too light is counter-productive.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Good point, at this point they're no longer trying to miniaturize laptops, they're already miniaturizing human productivity, obviating the need for laptops altogether. It's brilliant!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Really bad bad movement from MS bringing 128gb version.:mad:
    128 version should permently abounded to musium only.;)

People and users around the world would appreciate MS drop the price of existing 256gb model and becoming more attractive for purchase.

4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

1. What device do you enjoy using the most for reading manga or comic books? Do you use your Vaio canvas?

I tried reading some manga comics on my X1 yoga. Went pretty well though the aspect ratio is a bit skinny in portrait mode and obviously x1 yoga's a bit heavier than most tablets.

Cover looks like an app for viewing comics which should be helpful.

This summer, I will have 1 hour long bus rides to and from where I'll work. Internet connection through phone will be inconsistent so I am looking to find some ways to download manga and comics for use offline. Would prefer not to torrent and get them through legit methods but still be able to view them offline on a windows device.

5. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

The Canvas is my only device (beside my phone) but reading comics isn't something I do often.

6. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

Recently purchased a SB2 i7 16 512 for work. I am very disappointed. I can't seem to get the dedicated graphics to run. My touch pad is flaky as is the keyboard. I'm hoping my issues are just a bad base, but the performance has also been poor. My dying Yoga 260 (i5) is currently a worse performer than this SB2, but in it's day the Yoga was much better in running software. Has anyone else experienced poor performance on your SB2?

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I have the same system as you and haven't seen these (with the exception of when I was on Insider Fast Builds). Are you fully patched? Also, updating the NVIDIA GPU Driver caused many slowdowns on my machine - using the Microsoft Stock driver (Dated October, 2017) worked best.

8. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have the SB2, with an i7 but only 8Gb ram. (Cries). Zero issues, so far, with the keyboard base being used a lot. Try a clean reset of Windows 10.. update, update and update and see how you get on?

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@jtpeace My SB2 kicks ass. If the PC Reset suggestion above doesn't work, I recommend swapping it out asap.

10. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I will add that I always use the latest NVIDIA drivers and GeForce Experience because (gasp) I do actually game on the 15" SB2. Performance and stability have been immaculate overall, with none of the growing pains of previous Surface products.