Surface Book 2 Discussion Thread (13.5" and 15" models)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 17, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Kumajabjorn, you are a chick in the know - look at all the cool people you know on this forum :cool::D. Not only a chick in the know, but a cool chick! Don't change a thing.

Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.
  2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea, I do understand soldering components saves the space as opposed to sockets, but I don't buy the fact that they have to glue EVERYTHING together instead of using torx screws to allow easier reparability.

3. xor01

xor01 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think they use glue instead of screws to cut down weight (although its insignificant).

4. Iceman82

Iceman82 Pen Pal - Newbie

And the very next morning I discovered that they're delayed from Feb 14th to Feb 28th. What's another couple of weeks hey?

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been using a Surface Book 2, for three days now, with absolutely no issues at all. Clean install of Windows 10, to start, with mild tweaks here and there. It's pretty damn fast.

thatcomicsguy and Bronsky like this.
  6. jtpeace

jtpeace Pen Pal - Newbie

Folks I am looking for some info on the durability of the SB2. I am a high school math teacher. I’ve been using tablet pc’s in my work since 2009 or so. My most recent machine is/was a Yoga 260. It was brilliant for a while, but it’s now falling apart. The hinge mechanism is failing and the system randomly freezes while I’m working so I need a new machine. I’m looking at the SB2, but I worrry about the connection between the clipboard and the keyboard. I will be turning the screen around at least 10 times a day...can the SB2 stand up to that kind of use (which my Yoga could not handle...though to be fair it gave me 2 years of use).

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, the SB2 hasn't been out long enough to answer that, but the SB1 has and I have seen zero reports on problems with screen connectors. A reasonable deduction then is that the SB2, having the same construction, should withstand the rigors of math class.

8. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you have the 15 inch? How is comicbook reading on the one you got? I've been looking for a bigger screen than my 10 inch ipad for comic reading/manga

My concerns with a 15 inch windows tablet are heat and perhaps doesn't have the comicbook library of something like ibooks

There's the issue

Any artists/comicbook readers might have any advice on this?

9. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

@kneehowguys That would be a pretty expensive comic reading device :D

But there is a really good comic reading app in the MS store called "Cover".

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

In general I think the thin/light obsession is more one of the mfrs than consumers. In laptops, you can be too light and too thin!

But regarding the SB2, it's not thin or light, so a little more thickness and weight in the name of flexibility, maintainability and ecology would be nothing more than the sensible and decent thing to do.

thatcomicsguy likes this.